Automated and Intelligent Tools in the Construction Industry
- 338 Downloads
Hong Kong is a city which has many high-rise buildings, civil engineering and refurbishment projects. In this chapter, we study the accident-prone factors that lead to accidents on building sites by interviewing various stakeholders. In the second part of the study, we extract the causes of accidents from court case reports. Finally, we include a single case study based on the activities of one of the largest construction companies in Hong Kong—who use AI chatbot for filling the accident report, smart concrete sensors, robotics, drone photogrammetry, three-dimensional (3D) printing, virtual reality, wearable robotics, etc. on their construction sites. We look at whether innovative tools can be useful in improving safety performance on construction sites.
KeywordsConstruction safety AI chatbot Smart concrete sensor Holographic mixed reality Drone photogrammetry Infographics
An earlier version of the chapter was included in the conference proceeding: Li, Rita Yi Man and Leung, Tat Ho (2017) Construction safety in Hong Kong: an automated approach, 34th International Symposium on Automation and Robotics in Construction, Taipei, Taiwan, 28 June 1 July 2017. We would also like to thank an interviewee from Gammon in providing their latest development in smart concrete sensor and AI Chatbot in 2018.
- Banhdadi, A., and M. Kishk. 2017. Assessment of risks associated with Saudi aviation construction projects and of the risk’s importance. International Journal of Innovation, Management and Technology 8 (2): 123–130.Google Scholar
- Druley, K., T. Musick, and S. Trotto. 2016. Researcher explores how to make temporary structures on the construction site safer. Safety & Heath 193 (3): 35.Google Scholar
- Edrei, T., and S. Isaac. 2016, forthcoming. Construction site safety control with medium-accuracy location data. Journal of Civil Engineering and Management.Google Scholar
- Elattar, S.M.S. 2006. Automation and robotics in construction: Opportunities and challenges. Emirates Journal for Engineering Research 13 (2): 21–26.Google Scholar
- Fard, M. M., S. A. Terouhid, C. J. Kibert, and H. Hakim. 2015. Safety concerns related to modular/prefabricated building construction. International Journal of Injury Control and Safety Promotion.Google Scholar
- Gammon. 2015. Gammon construction harness technology novelty in moderating labour intensity [cited 7 August 2016]. Available from http://www.gammonconstruction.com/en/html/press/press-bd530331cdef40989c4520fafb1aa13f.html.
- Gammon Construction. 2013. Gammon advocated the application of BIM and was awarded the ISO 14064 verification statement. Gammon Construction [cited 6 March 2019]. Available from https://www.gammonconstruction.com/en/html/press/press-07b0f78d171b41d08265979a0aa8c2c7.html.
- Gammon Construction. 2016a. Build-to-order full modular and robotic construction. Gammon construction [cited 6 March 2019]. Available from https://www.gammonconstruction.com/en/html/press/press-ba2c50896ee0486497849c742c7ac045.html.
- Gammon Construction. 2016b. Gammon construction extends innovative technology efforts to optimize construction—Virtual reality safety training, GPS tracking, robotic construction [cited 7 August 2016]. Available from http://www.gammonconstruction.com/en/html/press/press-6b9ebe23ad3a426b847f03c4e5fa7031.html.
- Geoff, E. 2016. Major construction projects at airports: Client leadership of health and safety. Journal of Airport Management 10 (2): 131–137.Google Scholar
- Li, R.Y.M., H.C.Y. Li, K. Mak Cho, and P.K. Chan. 2016. Rationales for the implementation of competition law in EU, the US and Asia: Content analysis and data visualization approach. Asian Journal of Law and Economics 7 (1): 63–100.Google Scholar
- Marks, E., I.G. Awolusi, and B. McKay. 2016. Near-hit reporting reducing construction industry injuries. Professional Safety 61 (5): 56–62.Google Scholar
- Mroszczyk, J.W. 2015. Improving construction safety. Professional Safety 60 (6): 55–68.Google Scholar
- Skibniewski, M.J. 1988. Robotics in civil engineering. New York: Van Nostrand Reinhold Pub.Google Scholar
- Tagul. 2016. Tagul—Word cloud art [cited 9 August 2016]. Available from https://tagul.com.