Mayer–Vietoris Sequence for Differentiable/Diffeological Spaces
The idea of a space with smooth structure is a generalization of an idea of a manifold. K. T. Chen introduced such a space as a differentiable space in his study of a loop space to employ the idea of iterated path integrals [2, 3, 4, 5]. Following the pattern established by Chen, Souriau  introduced his version of a space with smooth structure, which is called a diffeological space. These notions are strong enough to include all the topological spaces. However, if one tries to show de Rham theorem, he must encounter a difficulty to obtain a partition of unity and thus the Mayer–Vietoris exact sequence in general. In this paper, we introduce a new version of differential forms to obtain a partition of unity, the Mayer–Vietoris exact sequence, and a version of de Rham theorem in general. In addition, if we restrict ourselves to consider only CW complexes, we obtain de Rham theorem for a genuine de Rham complex, and hence the genuine de Rham cohomology coincides with the ordinary cohomology for a CW complex.
KeywordsDifferentiable Diffeology Partition of unity Differential form De Rham theory Singular cohomology
1991 Mathematics Subject ClassificationPrimary 58A40 Secondary 58A03 58A10 58A12 55N10
This research was supported by Grant-in-Aid for Scientific Research (B) #22340014, Scientific Research (A) #23244008, Exploratory Research #24654013 and Challenging Exploratory Research #18K18713 from Japan Society for the Promotion of Science.
- 5.K.T. Chen, On differentiable spaces, Categories in Continuum Physics. Lecture Notes in Mathematics, vol. 1174 (Springer, Berlin, 1986), pp. 38–42Google Scholar
- 7.P. Iglesias-Zemmour, Diffeology. Mathematical Surveys and Monographs, vol. 185 (American Mathematical Society, New York, 2013)Google Scholar
- 8.N. Izumida, De Rham theory in diffeology, Master thesis, Kyushu University (2014)Google Scholar
- 9.A. Kriegl, P.W. Michor, The Convenient Setting of Global Analysis. Mathematical Surveys and Monographs, vol. 53 (American Mathematical Society, New York, 1996)Google Scholar
- 10.J.M. Souriau, Groupes differentiels, Differential Geometrical Methods in Mathematical Physics (Proceedings of the Conference Aix-en-Provence/Salamanca, 1979). Lecture Notes in Mathematics, vol. 836 (Springer, Berlin, 1980), pp. 91–128Google Scholar
- 11.A. Stacey, Comparative smootheology. Theory Appl. Categ. 25, 64–117 (2011)Google Scholar
- 12.H. Toda, Topology of standard path spaces and homotopy theory, I. Proc. Jpn. Acad. 29, 299–304 (1953)Google Scholar
- 13.H. Toda, Complex of the standard paths and n-ad homotopy groups. J. Inst. Polytech. Osaka City Univ. Ser. A 6, 101–120 (1955)Google Scholar
- 14.E. Wu, A homotopy theory for diffeological spaces, thesis, University of Western Ontario (2012)Google Scholar