Ionospheric Modeling and Precision Positioning Global Navigation Satellite System
In ionosphere, the total electron content (TEC) contributes a significant role in determining the scintillation. Ionospheric scintillation can affect severely in satellite-based navigation and communication systems. Thus, the study of TEC of ionosphere is very crucial. The correlation between TEC and temperature in different weather and time has been presented in this paper. The TEC data was taken from the global positioning system (GPS) receiver at University Malaysia Pahang, Malaysia (120′ 24.7388′E and 36′ 14.5310′N). These data were analyzed by the SPSS software using multiple regression and leveling process methods, then a model for TEC estimation has been proposed. The results show that during sunny weather, the TEC is highly correlated with temperature compared to the rainy weather. TEC is also correlated with time, the maximum correlation is found ~94% with corresponding TEC value ~35.24. The highest TEC can be obtained from 12 pm to 4 pm, which is around 35 in average. Besides, multiple regression method enhanced TEC estimation accuracy ~8.77% than leveling process method.
KeywordsTotal electron content (TEC) Ionospheric scintillation GNSS
The authors would also like to thank the Faculty of Electrical & Electronics Engineering, University Malaysia Pahang for providing the facilities to complete this work. This work is supported by Internal Grant (with grant number RDU1703125) of University Malaysia Pahang (www.ump.edu.my).
- 2.Ya’acob, N., Azmin, A., Yusof, A.L., Ali, M.T., Idris, A., Ali, D.M.: Mitigate the GPS ionospheric scintillation during solar flare. In: 2012 IEEE Control and System Graduate Re-search Colloquium. Shah Alam, Selangor, pp. 333–337 (2012)Google Scholar
- 4.Bhattacharya, S., Purohit, P.K., Tiwari, R., Gwal, A.K.: Study of GPS based ionospheric scintillation and its effects on dual frequency receiver. J. Eng. Sci. Manag. Educ. 1, 55–61 (2010)Google Scholar
- 5.Aarons, J.: Global morphology of ionospheric scintillations 70(4), 360–378 (1982). (IEEE)Google Scholar
- 8.Sparks, L., Komjathy, A., Mannucci, A., Altshuler, E., Walter, T., Blanch, J., Bakry, M., Lejeune, R.: Extreme Ionospheric Storms and Their Impact on WAAS (2005)Google Scholar
- 9.Shanmugam, S., Jones, J., MacAulay, A., Van Dierendonck, A.J.: Evolution to modernized GNSS ionoshperic scintillation and TEC monitoring. In: Proceedings of the 2012 IEEE/ION Position, Location and Navigation Symposium, Myrtle Beach, SC, pp. 265–273 (2012)Google Scholar
- 10.Hasbi, A.M., Ali, M.A.M., Misran, N.: Ionospheric TEC and scintillation during the 15–16 May 2005 major storm over equatorial anomaly region at ARAU. In: 2007 Asia-Pacific Conference on Applied Electromagnetics, Melaka, pp. 1–5 (2007)Google Scholar
- 11.Zou, Y., Wang, D., Shen, Q.: GPS scintillations and TEC monitoring at Guilin, China. In: 2008 International Workshop on Education Technology and Training & 2008 International Workshop on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Shanghai, pp 429–433 (2008)Google Scholar
- 12.Ya’acob, N., Binti Suhaimy, S.N., Yusof, A.L., Hashim, M.S., Abd Razak, N.I.: Observation of GPS TEC depletions due to equatorial plasma bubbles during solar flare. In: 2013 IEEE International Conference on Space Science and Communication (IconSpace), Melaka, pp. 128–133 (2013)Google Scholar
- 13.Seif, A., Abdullah, M., Hasbi, A.M., Zou, Y.: Observation of GPS ionospheric scintillation at UKM, Malaysia. In: Proceeding of the 2011 IEEE International Conference on Space Science and Communication (IconSpace), Penang, pp. 45–50 (2011)Google Scholar
- 14.Tam Dao, N.H., Vinh Duong, V.: TEC and scintillation observed over Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam during 2009–2012. In: 2013 IEEE International Conference on Space Science and Communication (IconSpace), Melaka, pp. 434–439 (2013)Google Scholar
- 15.Ning, B., Li, G., Liu, K.: Characteristics of GPS ionospheric scintillation and TEC depletion in the Chinese low latitude region. In: 2016 URSI Asia-Pacific Radio Science Conference (URSI AP-RASC), Seoul, pp. 90–92 (2016)Google Scholar