Development of Automated Gate Using Automatic License Plate Recognition System
This paper presents a prototype of automated gate powered by automatic license plate recognition system. The prototype is an embedded system running a Raspbian operating system on the Raspberry Pi microcontroller. A USB camera, LCD, and a servo motor are attached to capture an image of a vehicle, to display information and to represent an automated gate respectively. OpenALPR library is used to perform the license plate recognition, while the complete automated gate system, which is used performing image capturing, license plate recognition, and authentication to gate operation is built using the Node-RED software. As a result, the system successfully recognizes the vehicle number plate and categorize them. All information about the vehicle are displayed on the LCD, and if the vehicle is authorized, the gate operated accordingly. The analysis results show that the system is able to achieve a recognition rate of 87.50–90.90% on images with a specified height and angle.
KeywordsImage processing OpenALPR License plate recognition system Automated gate system
The authors would like to thank Universiti Malaysia Pahang (UMP) for providing the facilities and fund to complete this project. This work is supported by UMP Internal Grant of RDU1703140.
- 1.Numbeo Homepage. https://www.numbeo.com/crime/rankings.jsp?title=2017. Last accessed 20 July 2018
- 2.Hanif, N.R., et al.: Gated and guarded communities in Malaysia: The new roles of the state and civil society. Planning Law and Property Rights (PLPR) Conference, UK (2012)Google Scholar
- 3.Keong, W.W., Iranmanesh, V.: Malaysian automatic number plate recognition system using Pearson correlation. In: 2016 IEEE Symposium on Computer Applications & Industrial Electronics (ISCAIE), pp. 40–45. Batu Feringghi, Malaysia (2016)Google Scholar
- 4.Sulaiman, N., et al.: Development of automatic vehicle plate detection system. 2013 IEEE 3rd International Conference on System Engineering and Technology (ICSET), pp. 130–135. Shah Alam, Malaysia (2013)Google Scholar
- 5.OpenALPR Homepage. https://github.com/openalpr/openalpr. Last accessed 20 July 2018
- 6.Node-RED Homepage. https://nodered.org/. Last accessed 20 July 2018