Extended Bat Algorithm (EBA) as an Improved Searching Optimization Algorithm
This paper presents a new searching technique by using a new variant of Bat Algorithm (BA) known as Extended Bat Algorithm (EBA). EBA introduces the spiral searching method instead of randomly searching used in original BA. Spiral searching method taken from Spiral Dynamic Algorithm (SDA) is performed to improve the accuracy and efficiency of the original algorithm such as stabilizing the convergence when reaching ideal value. EBA conserves the robustness of BA and SDA and increases the performance of the proposed algorithm. The proposed algorithm is tested by using numerical experiments with three different objective functions. The results show that EBA outperforms original Bat Algorithm (BA) and Particle Swarm Optimization (PSO) in almost test functions and successfully optimizes the numerical problems.
KeywordsExtended bat algorithm Spiral searching method Engineering optimization
This works is supported by Universiti Malaysia Pahang (UMP), under Universiti Malaysia Pahang Research Grant RDU 170378.
- 1.Tamura, K., Yasuda, K.: Spiral dynamics inspired optimization. J. Adv. Comput. Intell. Intell. Inf. 15, S98–S100 (2010)Google Scholar
- 3.Tamura, K., Yasuda, K.: Spiral optimization—a new multipoint search method. In: Conference Proceedings IEEE International Conference Systems Man Cybernetics, pp. 1759–1764, IEEE, USA (2011)Google Scholar
- 4.Ahmad Nor Kasruddin, N., Normaniha, A.G., Mohd Ashraf, A.: A novel hybrid spiral-dynamics bacterial-foraging algorithm for global optimization with application to control design. In: 12th UK Workshop on Computational Intelligence, pp. 3–5, IEEE, UK (2012)Google Scholar
- 7.Wang, G., Guo, L.: A novel hybrid bat algorithm with harmony search for global numerical optimization. J. Appl. Math. p. 21 (2013)Google Scholar
- 10.Xie, J., Zhou, Y., Chen, H.: A novel bat algorithm based on differential operator and levy flights trajectory. Comput. Intell. Neurosci. p. 13 (2013)Google Scholar
- 11.Yang, X-S.: A new metaheuristic bat-inspired algorithm. Nature Inspir. Cooperative Strat. Optim. (NICSO 2010), pp. 65–74 (2010)Google Scholar