Turkey: Between Traditional and Modern Leadership
- 189 Downloads
This chapter shows how globalization and tradition shape the working practices of board chairs in Turkey. Board leaders there pay a lot of attention to the social status of those they work with—board members, shareholders and executives. They focus on performance and relationships, rely heavily on social contacts and informal relations to get things done, and place a high value on social events such as dinners, outings and conferences. At the same time, chairs take on the role of facilitators and mentors vis-à-vis their boards and their members.
- Ararat, M., Alkan, S., Aytekin, B. and Büyükabacı, O.S. (2017). Women on Board Turkey: 2017. Working Paper, Sabanci University.Google Scholar
- Arguden, Y. (2009). Boardroom Secrets. Corporate Governance for Quality of Life. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan.Google Scholar
- Avcin, M. and Balcoiglu, H. (2017). Corporate Governance: A Comparative Study of Firms in Northern Cyprus and Turkey. Revista De Cercetare Si Interventie Sociala, 57, pp. 182–201.Google Scholar
- Auswärtiges Amt (German Federal Foreign Office) (2018). Turkey Country Profile. Available from: https://www.auswaertiges-amt.de/de/aussenpolitik/laender/tuerkei-node/wirtschaft/201964 [Accessed 8 October 2018].
- Eurostat (2018). Unemployment by Sex and Age – Monthly Average. Available from: http://appsso.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/nui/show.do?dataset=une_rt_m&lang=en [Accessed 8 October 2018].
- German Federal Foreign Office, 2018. Turkey. https://www.auswaertiges-amt.de/de/aussenpolitik/laender/tuerkei-node/wirtschaft/201964.
- Heritage Foundation (2018). Turkey Country Profile. Available from https://www.heritage.org/index/country/turkey [Accessed 14 August 2018].
- Kakabdse A., Kakabadse, N. and Yavuz, O. (2009). Turkish Chairmen: Contrasting the Art of Dialogue against the Discipline for Governance. In: A. Kakabadse, and N. Kakabadse, eds., Global Boards. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan.Google Scholar
- Meyer, E. (2014). The Culture Map: Breaking Through the Invisible Boundaries of Global Business. New York: PublicAffairs.Google Scholar
- Sonmez, M. (2014). The Role of Better Transparency Law in Corporate Governance and Financial Markets, and Its Practicability in Legal Systems: A Comparative Study Between the EU and Turkey. Durham theses, Durham University. Available from http://etheses.dur.ac.uk/1080 [Accessed 8 October 2018].
- Tasman-Jones, J. (2013). Infographic: Turkish Family Businesses. CampdenFB, 59. Available from: http://www.campdenfb.com/article/infographic-turkish-family-businesses [Accessed 22 October 2018].
- The Capital Markets Board (2014). Communiqué on Corporate Governance. Official Gazette. Available from: http://www.cmb.gov.tr/SiteApps/Teblig/File/479 [Accessed 22 October 2018].
- The World Bank (2018a). World Development Indicators. GDP per capita, in international dollars. Available from: https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/NY.GDP.PCAP.PP.CD?year_high_desc=true [Accessed 22 September 2018].
- The World Bank (2018b). World Development Indicators. GDP Ranking. Available from: https://datacatalog.worldbank.org/dataset/gdp-ranking [Accessed 22 September 2018].
- The World Bank (2018c). World Development Indicators. Population, total. Available from: http://databank.worldbank.org/data/reports.aspx?source=2&series=SP.POP.TOTL [Accessed 22 September 2018].
- Türkiye Kurumsal Yönetim Derneği (Turkish Corporate Governance Association) (TKYD) (2016). BIST Yönetim Kurullari Araştirmasi 2016. Available from: http://www.kobirate.com.tr/content/BIST-YONETIM-KURULLARI-ARASTIRMASI.pdf [Accessed 22 October 2018].
- UNDP (2018). Human Development Indices and Indicators. 2018 Statistical Update. Available from: http://hdr.undp.org/en/2018-update [Accessed 28 September 2018].