Evaluating Study-Abroad Outcomes: A Case of Middlebury College, USA
This chapter presents preliminary data from an ongoing research project at Middlebury College that attempts to identify effective evaluation tools to measure the acquisition of intercultural competence by participants of one-term and 1-year study-abroad programs in Japan.
- American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages. (2012). ACTFL proficiency guideline. Alexandria, VA: ACTFL.Google Scholar
- Byram, M. (1997). Teaching and assessing intercultural communicative competence. Clevedon: Multilingual Matters.Google Scholar
- Engle, L., & Engle, J. (2004). Assessing language acquisition and intercultural sensitivity development in relation to study abroad program design. Frontiers: The Interdisciplinary Journal of Study Abroad, 10, 219–236.Google Scholar
- Hammer, M. R. (2007). The intercultural development inventory (IDI) manual (3rd ed.). Ocean Pines, MD: IDI, LLC.Google Scholar
- IDI, L. (2016). The roadmap to intercultural competence using IDI.Google Scholar
- Middlebury College. (2016). About middlebury.Google Scholar