Impact of Moisture Mobility on Compression Characteristics of MSW Through Soil Structure Measurements
The aim of the present research work is to characterize in situ municipal solid waste (MSW) of Pirana landfill, Ahmedabad and study the flow of water through MSW. A series of compaction test were carried out on dry and wet side of optimum and its structural mobility was determined. Suction characteristics, compressibility characteristics and soil microscopy under constant mobility of moisture and its variational flow path into solid surface and subsurface was evaluated. The results indicate that structural compactness of solid particles which are covered with moisture and chemical diffraction of partial organic matter and its overall effect can be well studied through this type of approach. Suction of MSW is affecting the compression characteristics of MSW and soil microscopy helped in understanding role of drying and wetting under constant degree of compactness and its effect on MSW as hydrodynamic force.
KeywordsMunicipal solid waste Soil suction Compressibility Soil microscopy
The authors are thankful to Dr. G. P. Vadodaria, principal of L D College of Engineering for providing the facilities of institution and motivation towards study. The authors also wish to acknowledge Dr. Kannan Iyer, Assistant Professor of Institute of Infrastructure Technology Research and Management for his esteemed guidance. Image courtesy: R&D department, Dharmsinh Desai University, Nadiad.
- 1.ASTM D5298-10 Standard test method for measurement of soil potential (suction) using filter paper, American Society of Testing and Materials, Annual Book of ASTM StandardsGoogle Scholar
- 2.Bulut R, Lytton RL, Wray WK (2001) Soil suction measurements by filter paper. ASCE Civil Eng Conf 39:243–261Google Scholar
- 6.IS:1498-1970, Classification and determination of soils for general engineering purposesGoogle Scholar
- 7.IS:2720, Methods of test for soils (Part 3, Part 4, Part 7, Part 13 and Part 15)Google Scholar
- 8.IS:1350 (Part 1) 1984, Methods of test for coal and cockGoogle Scholar
- 10.Rahardjo H, Leong EC (2006) Suction measurements. In: Fourth international conference on unsaturated soils, pp 81–104Google Scholar