Diverse Application of Auto-ethnography
The key policy issues as discovered by this research are the lack of mandatory hearing screening and the impact of this on New Zealand children; the ineligibility of prisoners with hearing loss to gain funding support through the Ministry of Health Hearing Aid Funding Scheme (HAFS); the lack of screening for Auditory Processing Disorder in prisoner populations; the uncertainty of whether prisoners with severe to profound hearing loss are eligible for State-funded cochlear implants and whether prisoners can access ACC funding of rehabilitation for noise-induced hearing loss. The Government policy on these issues will be examined further on in this chapter.
- ACC Act, 49, New Zealand Legislation (2001), Parliamentary Counsel Office. (2001). Accident Compensation Act 2001. Retrieved from http://www.legislation.govt.nz/act/public/2001/0049/latest/DLM100100.html.
- Additude. (2015). Central auditory processing disorders (CAPD) and ADHD. Retrieved from http://www.additudemag.com/adhd/article/8666.html.
- Esplin, J., & Wright, C. (2014). Sapere report. Retrieved from: https://www.health.govt.nz/system/files/documents/publications/auditory_processing_disorder.pdf.
- Fetterman, D. M. (2010). Ethnography step by step (3rd ed.). London, UK: Sage Publications.Google Scholar
- Healthy Hearing. (2010). Hearing loss: Use it or Lose it. Retrieved from http://www.healthyhearing.com/content/articles/Hearing-loss/Causes/46306-Hearing-loss-auditory-deprivation.
- Iriss. (2012). Strengths based approaches for working with individuals. Retrieved from http://www.iriss.org.uk/resources/strengths-based-approaches-working-individuals.
- Keith, W. (2015). Sound Skills, New Zealand. Retrieved from https://www.soundskills.co.nz/Auditory%20Processing%20Disorder/Definition_of_Auditory_Processing_Disorder_APD.html
- Kochkin, S. (2015). The binaural advantage. Retrieved from http://www.betterhearing.org/hearingpedia/hearing-aids/binaural-advantage.
- Lynds, M. (2013). Department of corrections northern region programme rotary presentation, newmarket rotary, Auckland, New Zealand.Google Scholar
- Ministry of Health. (2012). Guide to getting hearing aids. Retrieved from http://www.health.govt.nz.
- Ministry of Health. (2015). Ministry of Health NZ. Retrieved from http://www.health.govt.nz.
- Musiek, F. E., Baran, J. A, Bellis, T. J., Chermak, G. D., Hall, J. W., Keith, R. W., Medwetsky, L., Loftus West, K., Young, M., Nagle, S. (2010). American Academy of Audiology Clinical Practice Guidelines Diagnosis, Treatment and Management of children and adults with Central Auditory Processing Disorder. Retrieved from https://audiology-web.s3.amazonaws.com/migrated/CAPD%20Guidelines%208-2010.pdf_539952af956c79.73897613.pdf
- Nussbaum, M. (2006). Frontiers of justice, disability, nationality, species membership. Harvard University, USA: Harvard University Press.Google Scholar
- Parliamentary Counsel Office. (2014). Corrections regulations 2005. Retrieved from http://www.legislation.govt.nz/regulation/public/2005/0053/latest/DLM315417.html.
- Sound Skills. (2013). Definition of auditory processing disorder (apd). Retrieved from http://www.soundskills.co.nz/Auditory%20Processing%20Disorder/Definition_of_Auditory_Processing_Disorder_APD.html.
- Stanley, E. (2011). Human rights and prisons, a review to the human rights commission. Retrieved from https://www.hrc.co.nz/files/5214/2550/8357/Stanley_2011_-_Human_Rights_and_Prisons.pdf
- The American Speech Language Hearing Association. (2005). Retrieved from http://www.ak-aw.de/sites/default/files/2016-12/ASHA_CAPD_2005.pdf
- Wallace, A. (2014). How allocation of funding influences fully funded adult hearing aid schemes from a new zealand perspective (Master’s thesis). University of Auckland.Google Scholar