Fast Fashion, Fashion Brands & Sustainable Consumption
The phenomenon of fast fashion chains is due to the way this business model manages its production chain and supplies. Combining the quick response to the agile, lean retailing and leagile processes, it is possible to deliver products to retail outlets in a few weeks, in response to growing consumer demand for new goods. The excessive consumption of fast fashion is also due to social media involves issues such as sustainability in fashion consumption and work practices within companies and their suppliers. On the other hand, the awareness of the concern with the consequences of this consumption gives rise to new ways of consuming and producing fashion causing less impact both environmental and social.
KeywordsFast fashion Sustainability Slow fashion Social media Value chain Consumption
- Barnardos. (2015). [Online] Available at: http://www.barnardos.org.uk/news/press_releases.htm?ref=105244. Accessed 26 Janeiro 2018.
- Butler, S. (2016). The Guardian. [Online] Available at: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jan/28/bangladesh-factory-safety-scheme-stalls, acessado em 21/03/2018. Accessed 30 March 2018.
- Caro, F., & Martínez-de-Albéniz, V. (2015). Fast fashion: Business model overview and research opportunities. In: N. Agrawal & S. Smith (Eds.), Retail supply chain management (pp. 273–264). Boston: Springer.Google Scholar
- Carvalhal, A. (2016). Moda com propósito - manifesto pela grande virada (1st Ed.), São Paulo: Paralela.Google Scholar
- Chiquoine, J. (2017). WGSN. [Online] Available at: https://www.wgsn.com/content/board_viewer/#/74660/page/1. Accessed 30 March 2018.
- Christopher, M., Van Hoek, R., & Harrison, A. (2016). Creating the agile supply chain: Issues and challenges. In: K. S. Pawar, H. Rogers, A. Potter & M. Naim (Eds.), Developments in logistics and supply chain management (pp. 61–68). London: Palgrave Macmillan.Google Scholar
- Ciettá, E. (2010). A revolução do fast fashion - estratégias e modelos organizativos para competir nas indústrias híbridas (1st Ed.), São Paulo: Estação das Letras e Cores.Google Scholar
- Cline, E. L. (2012). Overdressed: The shockingly high cost of cheap fashion (1st ed.). S.L.: Penguin.Google Scholar
- Cohen, A. M. (2011). Fast fashion: Tale of two markets. The Futurist, 45(5), Sep-Oct 2011.Google Scholar
- Deeny, G. (2007). Fast forward to slow fashion. Financial Times.Google Scholar
- Elram, M., & Orna, S. L. (2015, December). Fashion conscious consumers, fast fashion and the impact of social media on purchase intention. Academic Journal of Interdisciplinary Studies, 173.Google Scholar
- Felsted, A., & Kuchler, H. (2015). Financial Times. [Online] Available at: https://www.ft.com/content/bef817ae-31f1-11e5-91ac-a5e17d9b4cff. Accessed 28 March 2018.
- Ferronato, P. B., & Franzato, C. (2015). Open design and slow fashion for the fashion system sustainability. Modapalavra, October, Issue Special, pp. 104–115.Google Scholar
- Fletcher, K. (2007). The Ecologist. [Online] Available at: https://theecologist.org/2007/jun/01/slow-fashion. Accessed 30 March 2018.
- Fletcher, K. (2013). Sustainable fashion and textiles: Design journeys (1st Ed.), Londres: Earthscan.Google Scholar
- Gereffi, G., & Appelbaum, R. (1994). Power and profits in the apparel commodity chain. In: E. Bonacich, et al. (Eds.), Global production: The apparel industry in the Pacific Rim (pp. 42–62). Philadelphia: Temple University Press.Google Scholar
- Hall, J. (2017, April 27). Fast fashion, slow fashion? Fashion Theory—The Jorunal of Dress, Body and Coulture, 25(1).Google Scholar
- Kerr, J., & Landry, J. (2017). Pulse of the fashion industry. Copenhagen: Global Fashion Agenda & The Boston Consulting Group.Google Scholar
- Kronfeld, M. J., Brown, A., & Herb, J. O. (2017). Millenial Magazine. [Online] Available at: https://millennialmagazine.com/2017/07/27/fast-fashion-how-slavery-fuels-your-style/. Accessed 30 March 2018.
- Lennon, N. (2014). The Guardian. [Online] Available at: https://www.theguardian.com/sustainable-business/sustainable-fashion-blog/2014/oct/02/how-to-be-fashionable-without-owning-clothes, acessado em 29/03/2018. Accessed 29 March 2018.
- Linden, A. R. (2016). An analysis of the fast fashion industry. Senior Projects Fall 2016.Google Scholar
- Moulds, J. (n.d.). The Guardian Labs. [Online] Available at: https://labs.theguardian.com/unicef-child-labour/. Accessed 30 March 2018.
- NCL. (2001). National Labor Committee. [Online] Available at: www.nlcnet.org. Accessed 20 February 2018.
- Ohno, T. (1988). Toyota production system: Beyond large-scale production. Portland: Productivity Press.Google Scholar
- O’Keefe, K., & Narin, S. (2013). The Wall Street Journal. [Online] Available at: https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424127887324787004578497091806922254. Accessed 30 March 2018.
- O’Reilly, R. (2018). Fashion Revolution. [Online] Available at: https://www.fashionrevolution.org/ireland-blog/a-case-for-borrow-not-buy/. Accessed 29 March 2018.
- PricewaterhouseCoopers. (2016). PWC. [Online] Available at: https://www.pwc.es/es/publicaciones/retail-y-consumo/assets/moda-por-un-tubo-relacion-cliente-omnicanal-sector-moda.pdf. Accessed 27 March 2018.
- Quinn, S. (2017). Listverse. [Online] Available at: http://listverse.com/2017/03/17/10-truly-troubling-facts-about-the-clothing-industry/. Accessed 30 March 2018.
- Remy, N., Speelman, E., & Swartz, S. (2016). Mckinsey. [Online] Available at: https://www.mckinsey.com/business-functions/sustainability-and-resource-productivity/our-insights/style-thats-sustainable-a-new-fast-fashion-formula. Accessed 30 March 2018.
- Rúbia, D. (2014). Audaces. [Online] Available at: https://www.audaces.com/slow-fashion-producao-consciente-na-moda/. Accessed 30 March 2018.
- Sinan, A., Dellarocas, C., & Godes, D. (2013, January 14). Introduction to the special issue—Social media and business transformation: A framework for research. Information Systems Research, 3–13.Google Scholar
- Tan, O. (2017). Adweek. [Online] Available at: http://www.adweek.com/digital/oliver-tan-visenze-guest-pot-fast-fashion/. Accessed 24 March 2017.
- Têxtil, P. (2018). Portugal Têxtil. [Online] Available at: http://www.portugaltextil.com/hm-e-o-salario-injusto/. Accessed 19 April 2018.
- Walsh, B. (2011). http://content.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,2059521_2059717_2059710,00.html. [Online] Available at: http://content.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,2059521_2059717_2059710,00.html. Accessed 18 March 2018.
- WRAP. (2012). WRAP. [Online] Available at: www.wrap.org.uk/sites/files/wrap/VoC%20FINAL%20online%202012%2007%2011.pdf. Accessed 29 March 2018.