Public Management and Technology: How Can e-Government Strategies Contribute to Greater Efficiency in Public Expenditures?
Government concerns about the growth of public expenditures that have increased in recent decades. The challenge of achieving greater efficiency in government spending stems from the growing demand for public services and the limited ability of governments to raise taxes to fund these services. In this context, the present research aims to investigate how e-government strategies can contribute to greater efficiency regarding public expenditures. To achieve this objective, interviews, bibliographical research, and documentary research were carried out, resulting in a proposal that includes e-government strategies with potentially positive effects on the efficiency of public spending.
KeywordsPublic expenditures Open government Electronic government e-Government Public administration Open innovation
The authors would like to thank the National Council for Scientific and Technological Development (CNPq-Brasil)—Process 402789/2015-6 for financial support in carrying out this study.
- 1.Alberti A, Bertucci G (2006) Replicating innovations in governance: an overview. In: Innovations in governance and public administration: replicating what works, pp 1–20Google Scholar
- 2.Australian Government Information Management Office, A The Australian Public Service Big Data Strategy (2013)Google Scholar
- 7.Dorasamy N (2017) Citizen participation and needs as an input tool for local government quality management. Risk Gov Control Fin Markets Institutions 7(2):56–66. https://doi.org/10.22495/rgcv7i2art6
- 8.Executive Office of the President, USA (2014) Big data: seizing opportunities. Executive Office of the President, Washington, DCGoogle Scholar
- 10.Gil AC (2008) Métodos e Técnicas de Pesquisa SocialGoogle Scholar
- 11.Godoi CK, Bandeira-de-Mello R, da Silva AB (2006) Pesquisa Qualitativa em Estudos Organizacionais. Editora SaraivaGoogle Scholar
- 14.Harrison TM, Guerrero S, Burke GB, Cook M, Cresswell A, Helbig N, Hrdinová J, Pardo T (2012) Open government and e-government: democratic challenges from a public value perspective. Inf Polity Int J Gov Democracy Inf Age 17(2):83–97. https://doi.org/10.1145/2037556.2037597
- 19.Lonti Z, Woods M (2008) OECD working papers on public towards government at a glance: identification of core data and issues related to public sector efficiency. Gov Int J Policy Adm (7):156. https://doi.org/10.1787/245570167540
- 20.Lopes CA (2007) Acesso à Informação Pública para a Melhoria da Qualidade dos Gastos Públicos—Literatura, Evidências Empíricas e o Caso Brasileiro. Caderno de Finanças Públicas, pp 5–40Google Scholar
- 24.Martins TCM, Bermejo PH de S (2016) Desafio de ideias para o governo aberto: o caso da polícia militar de minas gerais—Brasil. Cadernos Gestão Pública E Cidadania 21(70):303–324. https://doi.org/10.12660/cgpc.v21n70.59470
- 25.Moen R, Norman C (2009) Evolution of the PDCA cycle. Society, pp 1–11Google Scholar
- 29.Nagarajan NR, Teixeira AAC, Silva ST (2016) The impact of an ageing population on economic growth: an exploratory review of the main mechanisms. Análise Soc 51(218):4–35Google Scholar
- 31.OCDE (2009) Focus on citizens. Public engagement for better policy and servicesGoogle Scholar
- 32.Ogunde AO, Odukwe C (2017) A prototype system for mining frequent citizens’ demand patterns from e-government databases. Comput Inf Syst 21(2):1–9Google Scholar
- 34.Pollanen R, Abdel-Maksoud A, Elbanna S, Mahama H (2017) Relationships between strategic performance measures, strategic decision-making, and organizational performance: empirical evidence from Canadian public organizations. Public Manage Rev 19(5):725–746. https://doi.org/10.1080/14719037.2016.1203013CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 37.Thorhildur J, Avital M, Rn-Andersen NB (2013) The generative mechanisms of open government data. In: ECIS 2013 ProceedingsGoogle Scholar
- 39.UK Department for Business Innovation and Skills (2013) Seizing the data opportunity: a strategy for UK data capability. LondonGoogle Scholar
- 40.BRAZIL, Ministry of Education. Challenge of professional and technological education. Available at: http://desafiodaeducacao.mec.gov.br/educacaoprofissional/. Accessed on 23 Jan 2018