What Factors Contributed to the Success of WeChat?—SIMPLE Model
WeChat is one of the most successful social media in the world. This paper tries to explore the factors that make WeChat so attractive so as to gain real insight into the potential for current social media to be successful in other market. We built a model of SIMPLE (Socialization, Integration, Mobilization, Popularization, Localization and Ecologization) to understand the secrets that make WeChat. Our research is useful for both academics and practitioners to understand the reasons why and how to ensure that social media become attractive in mobile era.
KeywordsSocial media WeChat Success factors SIMPLE model
Science and Technology Department of Jiangsu Province: Study on the integration platform development and key technology of big data on industry in the context of intelligent cloud manufacturing.
- 1.Chinese Internet Data Center (2013) Market analysis report of WeChat in 2012. Available at: http://www.199it.com/2013/01/15
- 2.CuriosityChina (2016) WeChat user data report. Available at: http://weibo.com/curiositychina?is_all=1
- 3.Chan C. When one app rules them all: the case of WeChat and Mobile in China. Available from: http://www.economist.com/news/business/21703428-chinas-wechat-shows-way-social-medias-future-wechats-world
- 4.BizNext (2016) WeChat user data report. Available at: http://www.gzhphb.com/article/13/134226.html
- 5.Theotokis A, Doukidis G (2009) When adoption brings addiction: a use diffusion model for social information systems. In: Thirtieth international conference on information systems, Phoenix, pp 1–13Google Scholar