Models in Problem-Based Learning
Part of the SpringerBriefs in Education book series (BRIEFSEDUCAT)
In this chapter, the main models of PBL implementation are discussed. We also put forth our own PBL model for implementation in language classes which we have tested through empirical studies.
- Abdullah, M. H. (1998). Problem-based learning in language instruction: A constructivist model. Eric Digest.Google Scholar
- Angeli, C. (2002). Teachers’ practical theories for the design and implementation of problembased learning. Science Education International, 13(3), 9–15.Google Scholar
- Biggs, J. B. (1987). Study process questionnaire manual. Student approaches to learning and studying. Melbourne: Australian Council for Educational Research.Google Scholar
- Duch, B. (2001). Writing problems for deeper understanding. In B. Duch, S. E. Groh, & D. E. Allen (Eds.), The power of problem-based learning: A practical “how to” for teaching undergraduate courses in any discipline (pp. 47–53). Sterling, VA: Stylus Publishing.Google Scholar
- Erskine, D. L. (2010). Effect of prompted reflection and metacognitive skill instruction on university freshmen’s use of metacognition. (Published doctoral thesis), Brigham Young University.Google Scholar
- Gibbons, P. (2002). Scaffolding language, scaffolding learning: Teaching second language learners in the mainstream classroom. Portsmouth, NH: Heinemann.Google Scholar
- Hung, W. (2006). The 3C3R model: A conceptual framework for designing problems in PBL. Interdisciplinary Journal of Problem-Based Learning, 1(1), 6. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.7771/1541-5015.1006.
- Koszalka, T. A., Song, H.-D., & Grabowski, B. (2001, April). Examining learning environmental design issues for prompting reflective thinking in web-enhanced PBL. Paper presented at the Annual Meeting of the American Educational Research Association, New Orleans, LA. (ERIC Document Reproduction Service No. ED464592)Google Scholar
- Larsen-Freeman, D., & Anderson, M. (2013). Techniques and principles in language teaching 3rd edition-Oxford handbooks for language teachers. Oxford: Oxford university press.Google Scholar
- Larsson, J. (2001). Problem-based learning: A possible approach to language education? Polonia Institute, Jagiellonian University. Retrieved on 5 May 2017 from http://www.nada.kth.se/~jla/docs/PBL.pdf.
- Levesque, J. E. (1999). A comparison of problem-based learning and traditional lecture methods on medical student performance. Doctoral dissertation, University of Houston, Huston.Google Scholar
- Savery, J. R., & Duffy, T. M. (1995). Problem based learning: An instructional model and its constructivist framework. Educational Technology, 35(5), 31–38.Google Scholar
- Savery, J. R., & Duffy, T. M. (1996). Problem based learning: An instructional model and its constructivist framework. In B. G. Wilson (Ed.), Constructivist learning environments: Case studies in instructional design (pp. 135–148). Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Educational Technology Publications.Google Scholar
- Spiro, R. J., Coulson, R. L., Feltovich, P., & Anderson, D. K. (1988). Cognitive flexibility theory: Advanced knowledge acquisition in ill-structured domains. In Tenth Annual (Ed.), Conference of the cognitive science society (pp. 375–383). Hillsdale, NJ: Erlbaum.Google Scholar
- Torp, L., & Sage, S. (1998). Problems as possibilities: Problem-based learning for K–12 education. Alexandria, VA: Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development.Google Scholar
- Trafton, P. R., & Midgett, C. (2001). Learning through problems: A powerful approach to teaching mathematics. Teaching Children Mathematics, 7(9), 532–536.Google Scholar
- Uyeda, S., Madden, J., Brigham, L. A., Luft, J. A., & Washburne, J. (2002). Solving authentic science problems: Problem-based learning connects science to the world beyond school. The Science Teacher, 69(1), 24–29.Google Scholar
- Weiss, R. E. (2003). Designing problems to promote higher-order thinking. In D. S. Knowlton & D. C. Sharp (Eds.), Problem-based learning in the information age (pp. 25–31). San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.Google Scholar
© The Author(s) 2018