Problem-Based Language Learning
In this chapter, we take a more in-depth look at PBL and aim to justify how it refashions the language teaching and learning processes. We shall examine some of the main features of PBL presented in the previous chapter in more detail. We also seize this opportunity to distinguish what PBL is and is not by differentiating between it and other teaching and learning approaches in the language learning field. Throughout, we discuss some difficulties associated with implementing PBL in language classes.
- Aliyue, M. M. (2017). The effect of problem-based learning on metacognition and writing performance of nigerian undergraduates. (Unpublished Doctoral Thesis). University Putra Malaysia, Malaysia.Google Scholar
- Block, J. (2015, February 26). 5 PBL best practices for redefining the teachers role. Retrieved June 23, 2017, from https://www.edutopia.org/blog/pbl-practices-redefining-teachers-role-josh-block.
- Boud, D. J., & Lubin, J. (1983). Self-assessment in professional education. Tertiary Education Research Centre, University of New South Wales.Google Scholar
- Conant, J. (2009). Thomas Kuhn on the difference between a puzzle and a problem. Wittgenstein Archives at the University of Bergen.Google Scholar
- Duch, B. J. (2001). Writing problems for deeper understanding. In B. J. Duch, S. E. Groh, & D. E. Allen (Eds.), The power of problem-based learning: A practical “How to” for teaching undergraduate courses in nay discipline (pp. 47–53). Sterling, VA: Stylus.Google Scholar
- Ertmer, P. A., & Simons, K. D. (2005). Scaffolding teachers’ efforts to implement problem-based learning. International Journal of Learning, 12(4), 319–328.Google Scholar
- Gregory, J. (2002). Facilitation and facilitator style. The Theory and Practice of Teaching, 79–93.Google Scholar
- Johnson, D. W., & Johnson, F. P. (2009). Joining together: Group theory and group skills (9th ed.). Boston: Allyn and Bacon.Google Scholar
- Jonassen, D. H. & Hung, W. (2008). All problems are not equal: Implications for problem-based learning. Interdisciplinary Journal of Problem-Based Learning, 2(2).Google Scholar
- Kolmos, A., Du, X., Holgaard, J. E., & Jensen, L. P. (2008). Facilitation in a PBL environment. UCPBL UNESCO Chair in Problem Based Learning.Google Scholar
- Sadaf, S., Ali, S. K., & Zuberi, R. W. (2009). Problem-based learning: Enhancing tutors’ facilitation skills using structured small group experiential learning. Education for Health, 22(1), 96.Google Scholar
- Savin-Baden, M., & Major, C. H. (2004). Foundations of problem-based learning. Berkshire: SRHE & Open University Press.Google Scholar