China’s Economic Activities in the North Korean Fishing Industry
This chapter discusses activities in the fishing industry, for example, the civil cooperation programme, direct investment, and buying of fishing licences, which are driven by the foundation of alternative fishing areas to combat reduced traditional fishing fields. This is a result of the Sino-ROK fishery agreement and the pursuance of a cleaner environment under worsened pollution of the coastal environment. Furthermore, due to social awareness about nuclear pollution of seafood products following the Japanese nuclear accident, fishing in the North Korea marine territory is also becoming an economic choice for the seafood companies that have fishing programmes in the Northwest Pacific. The sub-state and non-state actors are the major actors of Chinese economic activities in North Korea while Beijing plays the role of opportunities supplier and diplomatic emergency mediator.
KeywordsSino-DPRK fishery cooperation Sino-ROK fishery agreement Ocean pollution Japanese nuclear accident
- Anonymous Interviewee 1: Interview with local businessmen, 9 Sep 2011. Zhoushan, Zhejiang province.Google Scholar
- Anonymous Interviewee 2: Interview with local businessmen, 9 Sep 2011. Zhoushan, Zhejiang province.Google Scholar
- Anonymous Interviewee 3: Interview with local businessmen, 9 Sep 2011. Zhoushan, Zhejiang province.Google Scholar
- Anonymous Interviewee 4: Telephone Interview with local businessmen, 10 Aug 2012. Penglai, Shandong province.Google Scholar
- Anonymous Interviewee 5: Interview with local businessmen, 12 Sep 2012. Changhai, Liaoning province.Google Scholar
- Anonymous Interviewee 6: Interview with local businessmen, 13 Sep 2012. Changhai, Liaoning province.Google Scholar
- Anonymous Interviewee 7: Interview with local scholars, 14 Sep 2012. Dandong, Liaoning province.Google Scholar
- China Distant Fishing Association (2012) ‘CDFA signed the agreement of cooperative program on the sector of fishery resource in North Korea Eastern Marine Territory with North Korea’. [online] http://www.cndwf.com/. Retrieved on Feb 24th 2013.
- China’s Ministry of Agriculture (2007) China Fishery Year Book. Beijing: China Agriculture Publisher.Google Scholar
- China’s Ministry of Agriculture (2012) China Fishery Year Book. Beijing: China Agriculture Publisher.Google Scholar
- De Zhou Daily (2011) ‘Seafood can be eaten without nuclear pollution’. [online] http://www.dezhoudaily.com/news/dezhou/folder135/2011/03/2011-03-23224441.html. Retrieved on Feb 24th 2013.
- HSSD.gov.cn (2005) ‘Rongcheng reached a breakthrough on Coastal and Distant Fishing 荣成市远近洋捕捞实现新突破’. http://www.hssd.gov.cn/xwzx/sxdt/200501/t20050110_509931.html. Retrieved on May 26th 2017.
- Liaoning Baohua (2011) ‘Baohua Corp invests North Korea seafood industry’. www.lnBaohua.com. Retrieved on Feb 24th 2013.
- Liaoning Ocean and Fishery Bureau (2010a) ‘The condition of Dandong-DPRK Civil Fishery cooperative program’s stage operation is fine’. [online] http://www.lnhyw.gov.cn/kjhz/dwhzjl/201007/t20100719_553049.html. Retrieved on Feb 24th 2013.
- Liaoning Ocean and Fishery Bureau (2010b) ‘The fishing boats of Changhai town came back fully loaded after fishing in the marine territory of DPRK’. [online] http://www.lnhyw.gov.cn/yyfz/hypl/201010/t20101009_578744.html. Retrieved on Feb 24th 2013.
- Ministry of Agriculture (2013) ‘Emergent Announcement of Suspending Distant Fishery Project in North Korea East Sea Ocean Territory’. http://jiuban.moa.gov.cn/zwllm/tzgg/tfw/201308/t20130828_3589469.htm. Retrieved on May 12th 2016.
- Ministry of Commerce of People’s Republic of China (2009) ‘The nearby fishery resource of Korea Peninsula and the status-quo of economic cooperation’. [online] http://ccn.mofcom.gov.cn/spbg/show.php?id=8638. Retrieved on Feb 24th 2013.
- Qingdao News (2011) ‘Seafood can be eaten without nuclear pollution’. [online] http://epaper.qingdaonews.com/html/qdzb/20110324/qdzb228232.html. Retrieved on Feb 24th 2013.
- Shui Mu Website (portal site of Yantai city) (2010) ‘From a female worker to boss, Penglai Xingdong Fishery Manager: Sun Piqing’. [online] http://www.shm.com.cn/special/2010-03/24/content_2876974.htm. Retrieved on Feb 24th 2013.
- Siyang Mofcom (2005) ‘Zhoushan Fishing program in North Korea started comprehensively’. [online] http://siyang.mofcom.gov.cn/aarticle/zhongyaozt/200512/20051201154064.html. Retrieved on Feb 24th 2013.
- The Central Government of People’s Republic of China (2000) ‘PRC’s statistical bulletin of national economic and social development 1999’. [online] http://www.gov.cn/gongbao/content/2000/content_60106.htm. Retrieved on Feb 24th 2013.
- The Central Government of People’s Republic of China (2010) ‘PRC’s statistical bulletin of national economic and social development 2009’. [online] http://www.gov.cn/gzdt/2010-02/25/content_1541240.htm. Retrieved on Feb 24th 2013.
- Weihai Fishmarket.com (2005) ‘The fishing boats won the first battle of fishing in North Korea, 1500 tons of squid have been sent to Shi island’. [online] http://www.wh-fishmarket.com/NewsInfo.aspx?ID=70638. Retrieved on Feb 24th 2013.
- Weihai News (2011) ‘Rongcheng Ocean Fishery Company: collaboration for sailing in the international fishing area’. [online] http://www.whnews.cn/2011-08/19/content_1698592.htm. Retrieved on Feb 24th 2013.
- Weihai News (2012) ‘362 Weihai fishing boats gained the license of fishing in the east marine territory of DPRK’. [online] http://www.whnews.cn/news/node/2012-07/13/content_5375205.htm. Retrieved on Feb 24th 2013.
- Weihai Year Book (2013) www.hswh.gov.cn. Retrieved on Jun 13th 2015.
- Xinhua Net (2011) ‘Japanese nuclear accident may become the largest ocean nuclear polluted incident’. [online] http://news.xinhuanet.com/world/2011-10/29/c_122211566.htm. Retrieved on Feb 24th 2013.
Government and Corporation Website
- Guo Min, Ma Xuexin and Wang Yunzhong. Repair Biological Resource and Construct a harmonious hometown for fishery—Theory, Practice and Innovation of Shandong’s Fishery resource recovery program. China Aquatic Product (中国水产 zhongguo shuichan), No. 6 (2007), pp. 71–72.Google Scholar
- Li Linghua. Simple discussion to the new PRC-Japanese and PRC-ROK Fishery Agreement and the delimitation of ocean border. Modern Fisheries Information (现代渔业信息 Dangdai Yuye Xinxi), Vol. 19, No. 5 (2004), pp. 15–16.Google Scholar
- Li Ming. Ocean Pollution’s Origins and Countermeasure. Science, Economy, Market (科技、经济、市场 Keji、Jingji、Shichang), No. 8 (2011), pp. 69–71.Google Scholar
- Liao Hai. Seafood Industry is becoming a major industry of Liaoning province. Modern Fishery Information (现代渔业信息 Xiandai Yuye Xinxi), No. 12 (2006), pp. 34–34.Google Scholar
- Lin Feng-ao, Lu Xingwangn and Luo Hao et al. The History, Status quo and features of Red-tides in Bohai Sea[J]. Ocean Environmental Science (海洋环境科学), Vol. 27, No. S2 (2008), pp. 1–5.Google Scholar
- Lin Jinshu. The Status-quo of Sino-North Korean trade and countermeasure. Journal of Yanbian University (Social Science) (延边大学学报社科版 Yanbian daxue xuebao), Vol. 42, No. 1 (Feb 2009), pp. 37–43.Google Scholar
- Lin Yuejiao and Liu Haiying. The influence of the implementation of PRC-ROK fishery agreement to Liaoning’s fishery industry and strategy. Chinese Fisheries Economics (中国渔业经济 Zhongguo Yuye JIngji), No. 04 (2006), pp. 71–74.Google Scholar
- N. A. North Korea-produced Chinese Mussel is landing Penglai. Shuichuanyangzhi 水产养殖, No. 4 (2010), p. 27.Google Scholar
- Wang Run-bo. The Existed Problems and Advices of China-North Korea Trade Settlement. Jilin Finance Research. (吉林金融研究 Jilin Jinrong Yanjiu), Vol. 6 (2008), pp. 48–50.Google Scholar
- Wang Xiyuan, Sun Gang. Shandong Peninsular Coastal Fishery Resource Recovery and Sustainable Development Strategy[J]. China Fishery Industry Economy (中国渔业经济), Vol. 31, No. 6 (2013), 21–26.Google Scholar
- Xu Bolong. Respond calmly to PRC-ROK Fishery Agreement. Ocean Development and Management (海洋发展与管理 Haiyang Fazhan yu Guanli), No. 02 (2002), pp. 50–51.Google Scholar
- Yantai Daily, ‘Seed Cultivation in China and Grow up abroad for one year’s reduction of growth period: North Korean produced shrimp landed Penglai’. March, 14th, 2010. Page 1.Google Scholar
- Yin Zengqiang and Li Jiuqi. Early Research about Liaoning province’s coastal fishery resource. Hebei Fishery Industry (河北渔业 Hebei Yuye), No. 5 (2005), pp. 15–18.Google Scholar
- Zhang Yinghui and Ke Na. Liaoning Province Ocean Industry’s problem and countermeasure. Ocean Developement and Management (海洋开发与管理, Haiyang Kaifa Yu Guanli), Vol. 22, No. 1 (2005), pp. 95–101.Google Scholar
Books and Articles
- Chinanews. (2012). ‘中国被朝鲜扣押28名渔民返回大连 船员详述经过’ 28 Chinese fishermen returned Dalian from North Korea and told the experience specifically. http://www.chinanews.com/gn/2012/05-21/3904758.shtml. Retrieved on Jan 31st 2019.
- China Water Transportation (2005) ‘Zhoushan Fishing boats went to North Korea for Fishing’. [online] http://www.zgsyb.com/GB/Article/ShowArticle.asp?ArticleID=37494. Retrieved on Feb 24th 2013.
- Ifeng (2012a) ‘The previous top officials of the United States: the rocket-launching of North Korea reflects the domestic struggle between Kim Jong-en and militants’. [online] http://news.ifeng.com/world/special/chaoxianfasheweixing/content-4/detail_2012_04/10/13755567_0.shtml. Retrieved on Feb 24th 2013.
- Ifeng (2012b) North Korea attracts attention by talking up foreign investment’ http://finance.ifeng.com/news/hqcj/20121107/7264376.shtml. Retrieved on Feb 24th 2013.
- Roy, Denny (2015) The North Korea Crisis in Sino-US Relations. In Simon Shen (ed.) North Korea and Northeast Asian regional security. London: Routledge, pp. 101–105.Google Scholar
- SC-fishery.com (2008) ‘Going abroad to invest North Korea, Sun Piqing: looking for the gold from ocean seedling’. http://www.scfishery.com/hyxxview.asp?newsid=5666. Retrieved on Jan 11th 2013.
- SINA (2011a) ‘11 thousand tons of nuclear polluted water was pumped into ocean’. [online] http://finance.sina.com.cn/roll/20110405/03159639351.shtml. Retrieved on Feb 24th 2013.
- SINA (2011b) ‘Five official departments of Shanghai claimed that the seafood in Shanghai are safe’. [online] http://news.sina.com.cn/c/2011-03-19/094522144268.shtml. Retrieved on Feb 24th 2013.
- SOHU (2011) ‘ French institution announced that the Japanese nuclear accident as the largest ocean nuclear polluted incident’. [online] http://news.sohu.com/20111029/n323809455.shtml. Retrieved on Feb 24th 2013.
- Xin Wen Hua (2011) ‘Changchun’s seafood production dropped rapidly’. [online] http://news.xwh.cn/news/system/2011/04/14/010175874.shtml. Retrieved on Feb 24th 2013.
- Yonhap News Agency (2004) ‘North Korea opened the front sea of Wonsan to Chinese fishing boats’. [online] http://app.yonhapnews.co.kr/yna/basic/articlechina/new_search/YIBW_showSearchArticle.aspx?contents_id=ACK20040907003500999. Retrieved on Feb 24th 2013.
- Yonhap News Agency (2010) ‘Chinese fishing fleets fished in North Korea and influenced our fishery gains’. [online] http://chinese.yonhapnews.co.kr/allheadlines/2010/07/15/0200000000ACK20100715003500881.HTML. Retrieved on Feb 24th 2013.