Cooking the Books
This chapter provides unique insight into the workings of a cookery department in a leading Australian institute that has been at the forefront of culinary education for over 75 years. In addition, it explores Australia’s vocational education and training system which is built on a strong relationship with industry who play a crucial role in guiding the system’s curriculum. Successes and challenges of delivering contemporary culinary education are examined. The chapter also reflects on the importance of building relationships with industry, and considers the possibilities for culinary education in the future. The author has included extracts from interviews with current culinary teachers, industry based alumni and culinary department management. The importance of setting down a strong foundation in classical cooking technique is discussed, along with examining the benefits of teaching contemporary techniques and methods such as molecular gastronomy. The Chapter also includes a case study which investigates the Institute’s highly successful Great Chefs Program.
KeywordsCulinary education Culinary Gastronomy
- American Culinary Federation. (2017). The crossroad of science and food. https://wearechefs.com/2016/02/24/the-crossroad-of-science-and-food/. Accessed June 1, 2017.
- Australian Skills Quality Authority. (2015). About ASQA. https://www.asqa.gov.au/about. Accessed June 22, 2017.
- Chefpedia. (2011). Birth of associations in Australia: History of cooks and chefs guilds and associations in Australia. http://chefpedia.org/wiki/index.php?title=Chefs_Associations. Accessed May 14, 2017.
- Cody, G. (2017). Is social media killing our chefs? http://www.goodfood.com.au/eat-out/news/the-social-apocalype-20170403-gvc7dn. Accessed August 2, 2017.
- Nunn, K. (1990). William Angliss College: The first fifty years (1st ed.). North Melbourne: Hargreen Publishing Company.Google Scholar
- William Angliss Institute. (2016). William Angliss Institute 2016 annual report. https://www.angliss.edu.au/images/publications/AnnualReport_2016.pdf. Accessed July 2, 2017.
- William Angliss Institute. (2017). Foundations and donations. https://www.angliss.edu.au/about/foundation-donations. Accessed October 24, 2017.