A New Photosynthetic Bacteria Consortium and Treatment of Low-COD Wastewaters
Photosynthetic bacteria consortium was isolated from sediment of black odorous river and was named HJ-1. The main pigments were bacteriochlorophyll a and carotenoid. Fructose, mannosej, ethanol, sorbitol, and sodium acetate could be used as carbon source. 16S rDNA gene sequence analysis showed that the dominant strains were Rhodovulum strictum and Thiococcus pfennigii. Its organics-degrading capability was tested using low COD soybean wastewater, low COD brewery wastewater, low COD sugar wastewater and municipal wastewater. Results showed that the COD in all wastewater reached under 100 mg/L within 72 h. COD removal and biomass accumulation were realized. This study suggested the feasibility of COD degradation and resource recovery by HJ-1 in low COD wastewater.
KeywordsPhotosynthetic bacteria Low COD wastewater Feasibility Resource recovery
This work is supported by special fund of State Key Joint Laboratory of Environment Simulation and Pollution Control (17K09ESPCT) and Key Research& Development Plan of Shandong Province (2017CXGC1005).
- 1.X. Chen, R. Zhang, High concentration organic wastewater treatment with photosynthetic bacteria and resource recovery. J. Agro-environ. Sci. 10, 122–124 (1991)Google Scholar
- 2.S. Liu, G. Zhang, X. Li, J. Zhang, Microbial production and applications of 5-aminolevulinic acid. Appl. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 98, 7349–7357 (2014)Google Scholar
- 3.H. Lu, G. Zhang, W. Zhao, Photosynthetic bacteria wastewater treatment technology. Beijing: Chin. Build. Indust. Press. 10–12 (2014)Google Scholar
- 4.H. Lu, G. Zhang, X. Dai, C. He, Photosynthetic bacteria treatment of synthetic soybean wastewater: direct degradation of macromolecules. Bioresour. Technol. 101, 7672–7674 (2010)Google Scholar
- 5.L. Xie, R. Yang, Y. Hu, Application of photosynthetic bacteria in treatment of organic wastewater. Environ. Pollut. Control. 22, 36–38 (2000)Google Scholar
- 6.H. Zhou, F. Liu, G. Qiu, Isolation, identification and characterization of a photosynthetic bacterium strain. Ecol. Environ. 15, 901–904 (2006)Google Scholar
- 7.H. Xie, S. Wang, R. Chu, Treatment of brewery wastewater with photosynthetic bacteria. Indust. Water Waste. 37, 38–40 (2006)Google Scholar
- 8.Q. Zhou, P. Zhang, G. Zhang, Biomass and carotenoid production in photosynthetic bacteria wastewater treatment: effects of light intensity. Bioresour. Technol. 171, 330–335 (2014)Google Scholar
- 9.X. Dai, G. Zhang, Brewery wastewater treatment and resource recovery by photosynthetic bacteria Z08. J. Harbin Inst. Technol. 42, 937–940 (2010)Google Scholar
- 10.R. Liu, Application of photosynthetic bacteria in organic wastewater treatment. Environ. Sci. 12, 63–67 (1991)Google Scholar