Enhancement of Proton Conductivity of Polymer Electrolyte Membrane Enabled by Electrospun Nanofibers
TiO2 nanofiber with different diameters was synthesized by calcining electrospun polyacrylonitrile (PAN) nanofibers embedded with titanium precursors. The TiO2 nanofibers was incorporated into sulfonated poly(ether ether ketone) (SPEEK) to preprare the proton exchange membrane (PEM). The incorporation of inorganic nanofiber can improve the performance of composite membrane. The conductivity of the SPEEK/TiO2-130 composite membrane is 1.15 times higher than that of the pristine SPEEK membrane at 100% relative humidity and 25 °C. In addition, the stable fiber skeleton suppresses the swelling coefficient of PEM. Compared to pristine SPEEK membrane, the SPEEK/TiO2 membranes exhibit higher comprehensive performance.
KeywordsSPEEK Composite membrane Fuel cells Proton exchange membrane
This study was supported financially by the National Key Research and development Plan (Grant no: 2016YFC0303700); National Science and Technology Major Project (Research Index: 201505017-002).
- 1.S.D. Bhat, A.K. Sahu, A. Jalajakshi, S. Pitchumani, P. Sridhar, C. George, PVA-SSA-HPA mixed-matrix-membrane electrolytes for DMFCs. J. Electrochem. Soc. 157, B1403–B1412 (2010)Google Scholar
- 2.C.-C. Yang, Y.J. Li, T.-H. Liou, Preparation of novel poly(vinyl alcohol)/SiO2 nanocomposite membranes by a sol–gel process and their application on alkaline DMFCs. Desalination 276, 366–372 (2011)Google Scholar
- 3.J.-C. Tsai, H.-P. Cheng, J.-F. Kuo, Y.-H. Huang, C.-Y. Chen, Blended Nafion®/SPEEK direct methanol fuel cell membranes for reduced methanol permeability. J. Power Sources 189, 958–965 (2009)Google Scholar
- 4.Y. Jun, H. Zarrin, M. Fowler, Z. Chen, Functionalized titania nanotube composite membranes for high temperature proton exchange membrane fuel cells. Int. J. Hydrogen Energy 36, 6073–6081 (2011)Google Scholar
- 5.K. Ketpang, B. Son, D. Lee, S. Shanmugam, Porous zirconium oxide nanotube modified Nafion composite membrane for polymer electrolyte membrane fuel cells operated under dry conditions. J. Membr. Sci. 488, 154–165 (2015)Google Scholar
- 6.S. Zhong, C. Sun, Y. Gao, X. Cui, Preparation and characterization of polymer electrolyte membranes based on silicon-containing core-shell structured nanocomposite latex particles. J. Power Sources 289, 34–40 (2015)Google Scholar