Numerical Analysis of Multi-tunnel Interaction in Clay
Constructing a new tunnel close to an existing one is a concerned engineering problem since the interaction between tunnels at a close range could lead to ground settlement, resulting in damage of buildings. This paper presents the particular interest in ground settlement induced by tunnel excavations and the configurations of twin-tunnel. For this purpose, the numerical model is established, in which the S-CLAY1 model is implemented. A series of numerical simulations on twin-tunnel at spacing of 1.5D, 3D and 4.5D are carried out. The simulated results and centrifuge measurements are compared for different ground loss rates and tunnel configurations. All the results demonstrate that the numerical analysis in conjunction with the S-CLAY1 model can well predict the ground settlement induced by multi-tunnel excavation, which is ready for practical engineering in tunnel groups.
KeywordsMulti-tunnels Anisotropy Ground loss Numerical simulate Clay
This research project is financially supported by National Natural Science Foundation of China (41372285 and 51579179).
- 3.Gang, Z., Yu, D., Xue-Song, C., et al.: Safety control of supported deep excavation and underground engineering and the impact on surrounding environment (2015)Google Scholar
- 10.Xiao, X., Zhang, M.X., Hui-ming, W.U., et al.: Numerical simulation analysis on ground settlements caused by multi-line shield tunnel. Chin. J. Undergr. Space Eng. 07(5), 884–889 (2011)Google Scholar
- 12.Masin, D., Herle, I.: Numerical analyses of a tunnel in London clay using different constitutive models. In: Geotechnical Aspects of Underground Construction in Soft Ground (2005)Google Scholar
- 15.Standing, J., Potts, D., Vollum, R., Burland, J., Tsiampousi, A., Afshan, S., et al.: Investigating the effect of tunnelling on existing tunnels (2015)Google Scholar
- 17.Mair, R.J.: Centrifuge modelling of tunnel construction in soft clay. Cambridge University, Cambridge (1969)Google Scholar
- 18.Hang, J., Zhang, D.L.: Numerical simulation of stratum deformation above overlapping metro tunnel. Chin. J. Undergr. Space Eng. 24(12), 2176–2182 (2005)Google Scholar
- 21.Hibbitt, Karlsson, Sorensen: ABAQUS/Standard: User’s Manual. Hibbitt, Karlsson & Sorensen (1998)Google Scholar