Analysis of Pile Penetration into Crushable Sand Using Coupled Eulerian-Lagrangian Method
The high-stress level caused by the pile penetration can result in grain breakage of sand around the pile, which is more serious for the very easily crushable sand. The grain breakage will lead to the reduction of pile bearing capacity, which can result in the instability of foundation structures even collapse. In this paper, a numerical analysis to investigate the problem of pile penetrating into the foundation of crushable sand is performed by adopting a newly developed sand breakage model combing with Coupled Eulerian-Lagrangian (CEL) method. Then the centrifuge pile penetration tests performed on Dog’bay carbonate sand was simulated by using CEL technique. The simulated results have a good agreement with the experimental measurements, which demonstrated that this numerical analysis for solving the pile penetrating is effective and feasible. All the simulated results show that the cone resistance is significantly decreased due to the grain breakage. Finally, it indicates that the numerical analysis is helpful for the design and construction of pile penetrating into crushable sand.
KeywordsPile Grain breakage Constitutive model CEL Sand
This research project is financially supported by National Natural Science Foundation of China (51579179).
- 2.Beringen, F., Kolk, H., Windle, D.: Cone penetration and laboratory testing in marine calcareous sediments. In: ASTM STP, 777, pp. 179–209 (1982)Google Scholar
- 3.Berenguer Todo-Bom, L.A.: Numerical modeling of soil-pile interaction considering grain breakage in finite deformations, Châtenay-Malabry, Ecole centrale de Paris (2014)Google Scholar
- 8.Hibbitt, Karlsson, Sorensen: ABAQUS/Explicit: User’s Manual, vol. 1. Hibbitt, Karlsson and Sorenson Incorporated (2001)Google Scholar
- 10.Jin, Y.-F., Wu, Z.-X., Yin, Z.-Y., Shen, J.S.: Estimation of critical state-related formula in advanced constitutive modeling of granular material. Acta Geotech., 1–23 (2017)Google Scholar
- 11.Wu, Z.-X., Yin, Z.-Y., Jin, Y.-F., Geng, X.-Y.: A straightforward procedure of parameters determination for sand: a bridge from critical state based constitutive modelling to finite element analysis. Eur. J. Environ. Civ. Eng., 1–23 (2017)Google Scholar
- 17.Yin, Z.-Y., Jin, Y.-F., Shen, S.-L., Huang, H.-W.: An efficient optimization method for identifying parameters of soft structured clay by an enhanced genetic algorithm and elastic–viscoplastic model. Acta Geotech., 1–19 (2016)Google Scholar