Microstructures and Mechanical Properties of 584 mm 7055 Alloy Billet by Direct Chill Casting Under Annular Electromagnetic Stirring Coupled with Intercooling
Combined with annular electromagnetic stirring and intercooling, a uniform direct chill (UDC) casting was proposed and used to produce 7075 aluminum alloy billets of Φ584 mm. In this paper, the experiments were employed to investigate the solidification behavior of 7055 alloy during UDC casting process. The effect of the technology on the microstructures of the billets and mechanical property was studied. The results illustrated that the UDC could refine the microstructures of the billets of 7055 alloy and reduce macrosegregation. The billet prepared had better mechanical property compared to normal DC casting.
KeywordsDirect chill casting Electromagnetic stirring 7055 alloy Intercooling
This work was financially supported by the International Science and Technology Cooperation Program of China (No. 2015DFA51230).
- 2.B. Liu, Q. Lei, L. Xie, M. Wang, Z. Li, Microstructure and mechanical properties of high product of strength and elongation Al–Zn–Mg–Cu–Zr alloys fabricated by spray deposition. J. Mater. Des. 96, 217–223 (2016)Google Scholar
- 3.H. Yu, M. Wang, X. Sheng, Z. Li, L. Chen, Q. Lei, C. Chen, Y. Jia, Z. Xiao, W. Chen, H. Wei, H. Zhang, X. Fan, Y. Wang, Microstructure and tensile properties of large-size 7055 aluminum billets fabricated by spray forming rapid solidification technology. J. Alloys Compd. 578, 208–214 (2013)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.Y. Luo, Z. Zhang, B. Li, Y. Qiu, M. He, Effects of annular electromagnetic stirring coupled with intercooling on grain refinement and homogeneity during direct chill casting of large-sized 7005 alloy billet. J. JOM. 1–4 (2017)Google Scholar
- 10.H. Zhang, H. Nagaumi, J. Cui, Coupled modeling of electromagnetic field, fluid flow, heat transfer and solidification during low frequency electromagnetic casting of 7XXX aluminum alloys. Part II: the effects of electromagnetic parameters on casting processes. J Mater. Sci. Eng. A. 448(1–2), 177–188 (2007)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 14.E. Liotti, A. Lui, R. Vincent, S. Kumara, Z. Guo, T. Connolley, I.P. Dolbnya, M. Hart, L. Arnberg, R.H. Mathiesen, P.S. Grant, A synchrotron X-ray radiography study of dendrite fragmentation induced by a pulsed electromagnetic field in an Al–15Cu alloy. J. Acta Mater. 70, 228–239 (2014)CrossRefGoogle Scholar