Thermodynamic Description of the Al–Mg–Y System
The Al–Mg–Y system was critically assessed by means of the CALPHAD technique. The solution phases of liquid, face-centered cubic (FCC), body-centered cubic (BCC) and hexagonal close-packed (HCP) were modeled with Redlich–Kister equation. The thermodynamic models of compounds Al12Mg17, Al30Mg23 and Al3Mg2 in the Al–Mg system, AlY2, Al2Y3, AlY and Al3Y in the Al–Y system, as well as Mg24Y5 in the Mg–Y system were kept consistent with that of the corresponding binary systems. In order to reproduce the ternary solid solubility of previously determined isothermal section at 400 °C, an identical formula of (Al,Mg,Y)2(Al,Mg,Y) was used to model Al2Y phase in the Al–Y system and Mg2Y in the Mg–Y system. The ordered part of BCC phase, i.e. the BCC_B2 phase, was treated with a thermodynamic model of (Al,Mg,Y)0.5(Al,Mg,Y)0.5(Va)3. The ternary phase of Al4MgY was described as linear compound with sub-lattice model. On the basis of the optimized thermodynamic parameters of Al–Mg, Al–Y and Mg–Y systems in literature, the Al–Mg–Y system was optimized in present work. The currently calculated isothermal sections at 400 and 800 °C, as well as the liquidus surface projection agree well with the previous experimental data.
KeywordsThermodynamic modeling Al–Mg–Y alloy Phase relation
The authors are grateful for the financial support from the National Key Research and Development Program of China (No. 2016YFB0701202 and No. 2016YFB0301105), the Natural Science Foundation of Shandong province (ZR2017BEM022) and the Youth Foundation of Shandong Academy of Sciences (2014QN024).
- 1.Z. Yang, J.P. Li, J.X. Zhang, G.W. Lorimer, J. Robson, Acta Metall. Sin. (Engl. Lett.) 21, 313–328 (2008)Google Scholar
- 6.A. Pisch, R. Schmid-Fetzer, G. Cacciamani, P. Riani, A. Saccone, R. Ferro, Z. Metallkd. 89, 474–477 (1998)Google Scholar
- 8.J. Gröbner, R. Schmid-Fetzer, A. Pisch, G. Cacciamani, P. Riani, R. Ferro, Z. Metallkde. 90, 872–880 (1999)Google Scholar
- 9.J. Gröbne, D. Kevorkov, R. Schmid-Fetzer, Z. Metallkd. 92, 2–7 (2001)Google Scholar
- 15.M.E. Drits, E.M. Padezhnova, T.V. Dobatkina, Russ. Metall. 3, 197–201 (1979)Google Scholar
- 16.O.S. Zarechnyuk, M.E. Drits, R.M. Rykhal, V.V. Kinzhibalo, Russ. Metall. 5, 214–217 (1980)Google Scholar
- 17.K.O. Odinev, I.N. Ganiev, V.V. Kinzhibalo, K.K. Kurbanov, Tsvetn. Metall. 4, 75–77 (1989)Google Scholar