Impact Fracture Behavior of Large-Diameter X80 Line Pipes
Pendulum instrumented impact test and Charpy impact test were employed to investigate the fractural behaviors of the large diameter X80 line pipes. The results revealed that the pendulum instrumented impact absorbed energy decreased significantly as the testing temperature lowered down, and the brittle appearance arose on the impact fracture morphology as well. However, the Charpy impact test result showed little difference when tested at the given temperatures, it is deduced that the increase of the specimen thickness improves the fracture sensibility of the pipeline steel on temperature, which makes great contribution to the difference between pendulum instrumented impact test result and Charpy impact test result.
KeywordsX80 line pipe Pendulum instrumented impact test Fracture property Fracture morphology
The authors would like to acknowledge China National Petroleum Corporation (CNPC), Key Lab of Oil Tubular and Environmental Behavior of CNPC for the financial assistance and allowing the publication of the paper.
- 2.T. Sadasue, S. Igi, T. Kubo, N. Ishikawa, S. Endo, A. Glover et al., Ductile cracking evaluation of X80/X100 high strength linepipes. Int. Pipeline Conf. 1661–1669(2004)Google Scholar
- 3.H. Li, W. Zhang, Y. Li, C. Huo, Y. Feng, L. Ji, Comparison of BTC, RBTC and HLP models in the calculation of the dynamic ductile fracture propagation velocities based on the X80 full-scale burst test. Int. Conf. Pipelines Trenchless Technol. 1196–1203 (2013)Google Scholar
- 4.K.B. Kang, S.H. Chon, J.Y. Yoo, Microstructures and mechanical properties of heavy gauge API-X80 linepipe steel for arctic application. Mater. Trans. 50(1), 1–5 (2012)Google Scholar
- 6.W. Ding, Z. Jiang, J. Li, S. Li, C. Zha, X. Bai et al., Research and development into low temperature toughness of large diameter heavy wall X80 pipeline steel at Shougang steel. Int. Pipeline Conf. 285–291 (2012)Google Scholar
- 8.H. Liu, H.L. Gao, Effect of pre-heating temperature at organization and performance of X80 pipeline steel. Welded Pipe Tube 30(3), 27–29 (2007)Google Scholar
- 9.X.L. Zhang, C.J. Zhuang, Y.R. Feng, W.Z. Zhao, C.Y. Huo, Local brittleness of heat-affected zone of X80 pipeline steel. Iron Steel 42, 69–72 (2007)Google Scholar
- 11.Y.S. Shin, Effects of microstructure on tensile, charpy impact, and crack tip; opening displacement properties of two API X80 pipeline steels. Metall. Mater. Trans. A 44, 2613–2624 (2013)Google Scholar
- 13.P. Wang, E. Dang, L.U. Cai-Hong, L.I. Lei, Z.X. Shen, X.H. Wang et al., Research on crack tip opening displacement (CTOD) Experiment of X80 marine riser submerged arc welding joint. Welded Pipe Tube 04, 17–22 (2011)Google Scholar