Visual Odometry Based Omni-directional Hyperlapse
- 1.2k Downloads
The prohibitive amounts of time required to review the large amounts of data captured by surveillance and other cameras has brought into question the very utility of large scale video logging. Yet, one recognizes that such logging and analysis are indispensable to security applications. The only way out of this paradox is to devise expedited browsing, by the creation of hyperlapse. We address the hyperlapse problem for the very challenging category of intensive egomotion which makes the hyperlapse highly jerky. We propose an economical approach for trajectory estimation based on Visual Odometry and implement cost functions to penalize pose and path deviations. Also, this is implemented on data taken by omni-directional camera, so that the viewer can opt to observe any direction while browsing. This requires many innovations, including handling the massive radial distortions and implementing scene stabilization that need to be operated upon the least distorted region of the omni view.
KeywordsVisual Odometry (VO) Omni-directional Camera Omni View Ricoh Theta Camera Path
This project is a part of postgraduate dissertation research work at Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur, India, financially supported by the Indian government organization Defence Research and Development Organisation.
- 1.360 video stabilization: a new algorithm for smoother 360 video viewing. https://code.facebook.com/posts/697469023742261/360-video-stabilization-a-new-algorithm-for-smoother-360-video-viewing/
- 2.Ricoh theta app. https://theta360.com/en/support/download/
- 4.Grundmann, M., Kwatra, V., Essa, I.: Auto-directed video stabilization with robust L1 optimal camera paths. In: Proceedings of the 2011 IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, CVPR 2011, pp. 225–232 (2011)Google Scholar
- 6.Karpenko, A.: The technology behind hyperlapse from instagram. http://instagram-engineering.tumblr.com/post/95922900787/hyperlapse
- 7.Karpenko, A., Jacobs, D., Baek, J., Levoy, M., Virji, S.: Digital video stabilization and rolling shutter correction using gyroscopes (2011)Google Scholar
- 9.Lai, W., Huang, Y., Joshi, N., Buehler, C., Yang, M., Kang, S.B.: Semantic-driven generation of hyperlapse from 360\(^\circ \) video. CoRR abs/1703.10798 (2017)Google Scholar
- 10.Liu, F., Gleicher, M., Jin, H., Agarwala, A.: Content-preserving warps for 3D video stabilization. ACM Trans. Graph. 28(3), 44:1–44:9 (2009)Google Scholar
- 15.Scaramuzza, D.: OcamCalib: omnidirectional camera calibration toolbox for matlab. https://sites.google.com/site/scarabotix/ocamcalib-toolbox
- 18.Lee, Y.J., Ghosh, J., Grauman, K.: Discovering important people and objects for egocentric video summarization. In: CVPR, vol. 2, no. 6, pp. 1346–1353 (2012)Google Scholar