A Fast Handover Scheme for SDN Based Vehicular Network
Vehicular network can provide Internet connectivity for mobile vehicle by handover mechanism. However, existing handover schemes still face poor handover performance when they are applied in vehicular network. Software Defined Network (SDN) is a new architecture which can be used to optimize vehicular network by making network devices to be programmable. In this paper, we propose a new fast handover scheme for SDN based vehicular network to improve handover performance. SDN controllers of our scheme predict movement of vehicles by detecting port status of SDN switches, and then they start to perform the proactive handover procedure based on prediction results. Evaluation results show that the handover delay and packet loss of our scheme are lower than the contrast schemes. Simulation results prove that our handover scheme is more fit for delay sensitive vehicular network.
KeywordsVehicular network Software Defined Network (SDN) Handover Predict Delay
This research is supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China Grants (61472001, 61272074, U1736216, U1405255) and the Key research and development plan project of Jiangsu Province (BE2015136).
- 2.Ma, S., Jiang, H., Han, M., Chen, L.: Survey of information security research for vehicle electronic control system in vehicle internet environment. Jiangsu Daxue Xuebao 35, 635–643 (2014). https://doi.org/10.3969/j.issn.1671-7775.2014.06.003Google Scholar
- 3.Perkins, C., Johnson, D., Arkko, J.: Mobility Support in IPv6. RFC 6275, IETF (2011)Google Scholar
- 4.Bernardos, C.J.: Proxy Mobile IPv6 Extensions to Support Flow Mobility. RFC 7864, IETF (2016)Google Scholar
- 6.Koodli, R.: Mobile IPv6 fast handovers. RFC 5568, IETF (2009)Google Scholar
- 7.Schmidt, T., Waehlisch, M., Koodli, R., Fairhurst, G., Liu, D.: Multicast Listener Extensions for Mobile IPv6 (MIPv6) and Proxy Mobile IPv6 (PMIPv6) Fast Handovers. RFC 7411, IETF (2014)Google Scholar
- 10.Yin, X., Wu, G., Dong, Y.: A proactive handover scheme for high-speed network mobility. J. Southeast Univ. (Nat. Sci. Ed.) 45, 1038–1045 (2015). https://doi.org/10.3969/j.issn.1001-0505.2015.06.003
- 12.Open Networking Fundation: Software-Defined Networking: The New Norm for Networks (2012). http://www.opennetworking.org/component/content/article/46-sdn-resources/sdn-library/whitepapers/816-software-defined-networking-the-new-norm-for-networks
- 14.Liyanage, M., Gurtov, A., Ylianttila, M.: Software Defined Mobile Networks - SDMN: Beyond LTE Network Architecture, pp. 9–10. Wiley Publishing (2015)Google Scholar
- 17.Mininet: An Instant Virtual Network on your Laptop (or other PC). http://mininet.org