Optimal Energy Saving Through Joint Deployment of Relay Station and Sleep Mode Activation in 4G LTE-A Network
The advancement of information and communication technology (ICT) facilitates high-speed data rate centric real-time applications including streaming of video and instant chat. More number of macrobase stations (BSs) are required to accommodate fast growing number of users which constitute for a radical increase in energy consumption of the network. In order to mitigate this problem, a sleep mode algorithm for evolved NodeB (eNBs) of LTE-A networks with simultaneously powering relay stations (RSs) is the key trends in 4G networks. The sleep mode algorithm for base station is mathematically modeled with set theory. In proposed system model, each eNB is interconnected through X2 links and with RSs deployed in the transmission areas of selected eNB. The real-time network traffic of base station is estimated by a two-way handshake process between eNBs and mobile station. The control server (CS) is placed in the selected eNB which will decide to activate the sleep mode for RSs and eNB based on the estimated real-time network traffic profile. The comparison of optimal power consumption of BSs with RS is extensively simulated. The performance of sleep mode algorithm considering temporal variations of real-time network traffic is validated on hourly based scenario using MATLAB R2013a. The simulation results of the proposed work prove that there is an enormous power saving per eNB per hour. This proposed scheme is well suited for suburban area with temporal variations of network traffic.
KeywordseNB Relay stations Traffic profile X2 links Control server Sleep mode
We would like to thank the anonymous reviewers for their comments for improving this paper, and also, we extend our gratitude to VIT University, Chennai, for their support.
- 2.Lister D (2009) Vodafone group research & development, “An operator’s view on green radio”. Presented at the proceedings of IEEE international workshop on green communicationsGoogle Scholar
- 3.Militano L, Molinaro A, Iera A, Petkovics A (2012). Introducing fairness in cooperation among green mobile network operators. In: Proceedings of 20th international conference on software, telecommunications and computer networks (SoftCOM), Italy, pp 1–5Google Scholar
- 5.Ratheesh R, Vetrivelan (2016) Power optimization techniques for next generation wireless networks. Int J Eng Technol (IJET). e-ISSN: 0975-4024Google Scholar
- 6.Grant P (2010) MCVE Core 5 Programme, “Green radio-the case for more efficient cellular basestations”. Presented at the Globecom’10Google Scholar
- 7.EARTH. Energy aware radio and network technologies project. https://www.ict-earth.eu/default.html
- 8.Most promising tracks of green network technologies (2010) INFSO-ICT-247733 EARTH Deliverable D3.1, Earth, WP3-Green Networks. https://bscw.ict-earth.eu/pub/bscw.cgi/d31509/EARTHWP3D3.1.pdf
- 9.OPERA-Net, Optimising power efficiency in mobile radio networks project. http://opera-net.org/default.aspx
- 10.Optimising power efficiency in mobile radio networks (2010) OPERA-Net PROJECT STAND #42, 2010 NEM Summit Towards Future Media Internet, Barcelona, Spain, Oct 2010. http://opera-net.org/Documents/5026v1Opera-Nete-NEM%20Event%20Barcelona%202010Demos%20Presentation290710.pdf
- 11.Energy efficiency enhancements in radio access networks (2008) Wireless@KTH Research Strategy Document 2008–2010, Wireless@KTH. http://www.wireless.kth.se/images/stories/Strategy/Researchplan08.pdf
- 13.Micallef G, Mogensen P, Scheck H-O (2010) Cell size breathing and possibilities to introduce cell sleep mode. In: 16th European wireless conference 2010, Lucca, Italy, pp 111–115Google Scholar
- 14.Deruyck et al (2012) Characterization and optimization of the power consumption in wireless access networks by taking daily traffic variations into account. EURASIP J Wirel Commun NetworkingGoogle Scholar
- 15.Ouni A, Saadani A, Rivano H (2013) Energy and throughput optimization for relay based heterogeneous networks. IEEE. ISBN: 978-1-4799-0543-0/13/$31.00Google Scholar