Predicting High Blood Pressure Using Decision Tree-Based Algorithm

  • Satyanarayana Nimmala
  • Y. Ramadevi
  • Srinivas Naik Nenavath
  • Ramalingaswamy Cheruku
Conference paper
Part of the Advances in Intelligent Systems and Computing book series (AISC, volume 705)


High blood pressure, also called as hypertension, is a state developed in biological system of human beings by knowingly or unknowingly. It may occur due to varied biological and psychological reasons. If high blood pressure state is sustained for a longer cycle, then the person may be the victim of heart attack or brain stroke or kidney disease. This paper uses a decision tree-based J48 algorithm, to predict whether a person is prone to high blood pressure (HBP). In our experimental analysis, we have taken certain biological parameters such as age, obesity level, and total blood cholesterol level. We have taken the real-time data set of 1045 diagnostic records of patients in the age between 18 and 65. These are collected from a medical diagnosis center Doctor C, Hyderabad. Records (66%) are used to train the model, and remaining 34% records are used to test the model. Our results showed 88.45% accuracy.


Classification Decision tree Blood pressure monitoring 


  1. 1.
    AbuDagga, A., Resnick, H.E., Alwan, M.: Impact of blood pressure telemonitoring on hypertension outcomes: a literature review. Telemed. e-Health 16(7), 830–838 (2010)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
  2. 2.
    Cheng, H.M.: Measurement accuracy of a stand-alone oscillometric central blood pressure monitor: a validation report for MicrolifeWatchBP Office Central. Amer. J. Hypertens. 26(1), 42–50 (2013)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
  3. 3.
    Ding, X.R.: Continuous cuffless blood pressure estimation using pulse transit time and photoplethysmogram intensity ratio. IEEE Trans. Biomed. Eng. 63(5), 964–972 (2015)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
  4. 4.
    Forouzanfar, M.: Oscillometric blood pressure estimation: past, present, and future. IEEE Rev. Biomed. Eng. 8, 44–63 (2015)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
  5. 5.
    Forouzanfar, M.: Ratio-independent blood pressure estimation by modeling the oscillometric waveform envelope. IEEE Trans. Instrum. Measure. 63, 2501–2503 (2014)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
  6. 6.
    Liu, J.: Model-based oscillometric blood pressure measurement: preliminary validation in humans. In: Proceedings of IEEE Conference on Engineering, Medical Biological Soc, pp. 1961–1964 (2014)Google Scholar
  7. 7.
    Mukkamala, R.: Toward ubiquitous blood pressure monitoring via pulse transit time: theory and practice. IEEE Trans. Biomed. Eng. 62, 1879–1901 (2015)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
  8. 8.
    Satyanarayana, N., Ramalingaswamy, C.H., Ramadevi, Y.: Survey of classification techniques in data mining. Int. J. Innov. Sci. Eng. Technol. 1, 268–278 (2014)Google Scholar

Copyright information

© Springer Nature Singapore Pte Ltd. 2018

Authors and Affiliations

  • Satyanarayana Nimmala
    • 1
  • Y. Ramadevi
    • 2
  • Srinivas Naik Nenavath
    • 3
  • Ramalingaswamy Cheruku
    • 4
  1. 1.Department of Computer Science and EngineeringOsmania UniversityHyderabadIndia
  2. 2.Department of Computer Science and EngineeringCBITHyderabadIndia
  3. 3.School of Computer and Information SciencesUniversity of HyderabadHyderabadIndia
  4. 4.Department of Computer Science and EngineeringNational Institute of Technology GoaPondaIndia

Personalised recommendations