On Using Priority Inheritance-Based Distributed Static Two-Phase Locking Protocol
Two-phase locking with high priority (2PL-HP), a well-suited concurrency control protocol for distributed real-time database systems (DRTDBS) because of being free from priority inversion problem, is used for accessing data items to resolve conflicts among the concurrently executing transactions. However, it suffers from the problems of wastage of system resources responsible for degrading the system performance. In DRTDBS, our basic aim is to minimize the number of transactions missing their deadline. In this paper, static two-phase locking with priority inheritance (S2PL-PI) protocol has been proposed specifically to minimize the wasted system resources, i.e., CPU and data items by avoiding unnecessary abort of transactions by optimal use of priority inheritance mechanism. A DRTDBS is simulated for comparison of the performance of S2PL-PI protocol with previous other protocols, and results confirm the significant improvement in system performance.
KeywordsConcurrency control Two-phase locking 2PL-HP Priority inheritance Distributed real-time database
We acknowledge the financial support provided by the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR), New Delhi, India under grant no 1061461137 during this research work.
- 2.Shanker U, Misra M, Sarje AK (2001) Hard real-time distributed database systems: future directions. IIT Roorkee, India, pp 172–177Google Scholar
- 3.Pandey S, Shanker U (2016) Transaction execution in distributed real-time database systems. In: Proceedings of the international conference on innovations in information embedded and communication systems, pp 96–100Google Scholar
- 5.Faleiro JM, Abadi DJ (2015) FIT: a distributed database performance tradeoff. Data Eng 38(01):10–17Google Scholar
- 8.Faleiro JM, Abadi DJ (2014) Rethinking serializable multiversion concurrency control. VLDB 08(11):1190–1201Google Scholar
- 9.Harding R, Aken DV, Pavlo A, Stonebraker M (2016) An evaluation of distributed concurrency control. VLDB 10(05):553–564Google Scholar
- 10.Lam KY (1994) Concurrency control in distributed real time database systems. Ph.D. thesisGoogle Scholar
- 14.Pandey S, Shanker U (2018) A one phase priority inheritance commit protocol. In: Proceedings of the 14th international conference on distributed computing and information technology (ICDCIT), Bhubaneshwar, India, 11–13 Jan 2018 (Accepted)Google Scholar
- 15.Huang J, Stankovic JA, Towsley D (1991) On using priority inheritance in real-time databases. In: Real-time systems symposium, pp 210–221Google Scholar
- 18.Shanker U, Misra M, Sarje AK (2005) Priority assignment heuristic to cohorts executing in parallel. In: 9th international conference on world scientific and engineering academy and society (WSEAS)Google Scholar