What Drives Firms Towards Green Initiatives?—An Emerging Economy Perspective
Sustainability is fast emerging as the new paradigm of conducting business. With increasing focus on the environmental impact of firms’ operations, there is a need to understand the factors that drive green initiatives of firms. In this work, we aim to understand those factors by studying environmentally friendly initiatives of firms. Our observations, primarily based on the emerging economies of India and China, serve to provide an insight into fast-growing economies which also often face scrutiny for poor environmental performance. We observe and analyse common factors that determine firms’ green initiatives. The work aims to derive insights into environmentally friendly practices of firms in emerging economies and also provides directions for further research in green operations.
KeywordsGreen operations Environmental regulations India China
- BaoSteel. (2015). Sustainability report.Google Scholar
- Business Standard. (2016). China’s Changan automobile could enter India. Retrieved from http://www.business-standard.com/article/news-cd/china-s-changan-automobile-could-enter-india-116071100681_1.html.
- Carberry, E. G., & Hancock, R. S. (2014). The China GreenTech report.Google Scholar
- Chang, A. (2010). Retrieved from The Wall Street Journal: https://blogs.wsj.com/indiarealtime/2010/07/05/cokes-kerala-problems-bubble-up/.
- Cheadle, B. (2016). China cap-and-trade market gives carbon pricing opponents ‘nowhere to hide’: UN. Retrieved from CBC news: http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/china-cap-and-trade-market-1.3771733.
- China Greentech Initiative. (2014). Retrieved from The China Greentech report: http://www.thinkchina.ku.dk/resources/greengrowth/the-china-greentech-report-2014/.
- CPCB. (2011). Implementation of E-waste rules 2011: Guidelines implementation of E-waste rules 2011: Guidelines. Retrieved from http://cpcb.nic.in/upload/Latest/Latest_71_ImplementationOfE-WasteRules.pdf.
- DongFeng Motor Corporate. (2015). Social responsibility report DongFeng, the nurturing east wind.Google Scholar
- Duggan, J. (2015). China’s middle class turns to organics after food safety scares. Retrieved from https://www.theguardian.com/sustainable-business/2015/may/14/china-middle-class-organics-food-safety-scares.
- Economic Times. (2017). China’s quota threat charges up electric car market. Retrieved from http://auto.economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/industry/chinas-quota-threat-charges-up-electric-car-market/58323166.
- Ghosh, D., Gouda, S., & Shah, J. (2015). Green supply chain initiatives: The India perspective. Handbook of research on global supply chain management (p. 240).Google Scholar
- Hall, C. (2016, January). China’s organic food boom driven by personal, rather than environmental concern. Post Magazine. Retrieved from http://www.scmp.com/magazines/post-magazine/health-beauty/article/1903395/chinas-organic-food-boom-driven-personal.
- He, L. (2017). China’s national carbon trading rollout expected to have major impact on key industries. Retrieved from South China Morning Post: http://www.scmp.com/business/companies/article/2084151/chinas-national-carbon-trading-rollout-expected-have-major-impact.
- Heinze, K. (2016). China—one of the top 4 organic markets worldwide. Retrieved from http://organic-market.info/news-in-brief-and-reports-article/china-one-of-the-top-4-organic-markets-worldwide.html.
- ITC. (2016). Sustainability report. Retrieved from http://www.itcportal.com/sustainability/sustainability-report-2016/sustainability-report-2016.pdf.
- Li, W., & Lin, W. (2016). Circular economy policies in China. Chapters, 105–122).Google Scholar
- Mahindra. (2016). Sustainability review. Mahindra Rise.Google Scholar
- Nielsen. (2015). Green generation: Millennials say sustainability is a shopping priority. Retrieved from http://www.nielsen.com/us/en/insights/news/2015/green-generation-millennials-say-sustainability-is-a-shopping-priority.html.
- Nielsen. (2017). Nielsen: Premium products are boosting in China. Retrieved from http://www.nielsen.com/cn/en/insights/news/2017/Nielsen-Premium-Products-Are-Boosting-in-China.html.
- P&G. (2016). Environmental sustainability initiatives in India. Retrieved from https://www.pg.com/en_IN/sustainability/environmental_sustainability/environmental-sustainability-initiatives-in-india.shtml.
- PepsiCo. (2011). Human sustainability. Retrieved from http://www.pepsicoindia.co.in/download/PepsiCoIndiaPWPbrochure.pdf.
- Rai, S., & Bansal, S. (2014). An analysis of corporate social responsibility expenditure in India. Economic and Political Weekly, 49(50).Google Scholar
- Reuters. (2016). Retrieved from China to require tougher new vehicle emission standards for 2020: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-autos-emissions/china-to-require-tougher-new-vehicle-emission-standards-for-2020-idUSKBN14C0Q4.
- Rusli, S., & Kirk, A. (2017). The long and winding road of electric car adoption. Retrieved from http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/0/long-winding-road-electric-car-adoption/.
- Salhotra, K. (2016). Impact of Bharat Stage-VI norms on Indian Auto & Auto Component Industry. Retrieved from Economic Times: http://auto.economictimes.indiatimes.com/autologue/impact-of-bharat-stage-vi-norms-on-indian-auto-auto-component-industry/1543.
- The Times of India. (2015). Organic food market growing at 25–30%, awareness still low: Govt. Retrieved from http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/business/india-business/Organic-food-market-growing-at-25-30-awareness-still-low-Govt/articleshow/49379386.cms.
- Thomas, P. M. (2012). William Bissell: Turning Fabindia’s Artisans to company owners. Retrieved from http://www.forbesindia.com/article/leaderhip-award-2012/william-bissell-turning-fabindias-artisans-to-company-owners/33861/1.
- Yeo, S. (2016). Analysis: Decline in China’s coal consumption accelerates. Retrieved from CarbonBrief: https://www.carbonbrief.org/analysis-decline-in-chinas-coal-consumption-accelerates.
- Zheng, K. W., Jia Wern, O., & You, K. K. (2005). China’s rise as a manufacturing powerhouse: Implications for Asia. MAS Staff Paper, 1–36.Google Scholar