Variants of Wormhole Attacks and Their Impact in Wireless Sensor Networks
In wireless sensor networks, nodes have limited battery, transmission power, and processing capabilities. For routing the packets, cooperation between nodes is needed. Wireless sensor network is vulnerable to wide range of attacks. A more dangerous attack is wormhole attack in which packets are received in one area and replied in another area of the network. For on-demand routing protocols, route discovery mechanism is affected by wormhole attack and routing is disturbed. In this paper, we have presented variants of wormhole attacks and their impact in wireless sensor networks.
KeywordsWireless sensor network Attack Vulnerable Wormhole
The authors are highly thankful to the Gujarat Technological University (Smt. S R Patel Engineering College, Unjha) for providing the opportunity to conduct this research work.
- 1.Y. C. Hu, A. Perrig and D. B. Johnson; “Packet leashes: a defense against wormhole attacks in wireless networks” IEEE Computer and Communications Societies, IEEE, vol. 3, pp. 1976–1986, 2003.Google Scholar
- 2.Jennifer Yick, Biswanath Mukherjee, Dipak Ghosal; “Wireless sensor network survey” International Journal of Computer and Telecommunications Networking, volume 52, Issue 12, August 2008, pp 2292–2330.Google Scholar
- 3.Padmavathi, G., Shanmugapriya, D.; “A survey of attacks, security mechanisms and challenges in wireless sensor networks” International Journal of Computer Science and Information Security (IJCSIS) 2009, 4, 117–125.Google Scholar
- 4.Ayaz Hassan Moon, N.A. Shah, Ummer Iqbal, Adil Ayub; “Simulating and Analysing Basic Security Attacks in Wireless Sensor Networks using QualNet” IEEE International Conference on Machine Intelligence Research and Advancement 2013.Google Scholar
- 5.Li Lu, Muhammad Jawad Hussain, Guoxing Luo and Zhigang Han; “Pworm: passive and Real-Time Wormhole Detection Scheme for WSNs”, International Journal of Distributed Sensor networks, Volume 2015, Article ID 356382, 16 pages.Google Scholar
- 6.Muhammad Imran, Farrukh Aslam Khan, Tauseef Jamal, Muhammad Hanif Durad, “Analysis of Detection Features for Wormhole Attacks in MANETs” International Workshop on Cyber Security and Digital Investigation, Procedia Computer Science 56 (2015) Elsevier, pp 384–390.Google Scholar
- 7.Saswati Mukherjee, Matangini Chattopadhyay, Samiran Chattopadhyay, Pragma Kar; “Wormhole Detection Based on Ordinal MDS Using RTT in Wireless Sensor Network”, Journal of Computer Networks and Communications, Volume 2016, Article ID 3405264, 15 pages.Google Scholar
- 8.Rupin Singh, Jatinder Singh, Ravinder Singh, “WRHT: a Hybrid Technique for Detection of Wormhole Attack in Wireless Sensor Networks”, Hindawi Publishing Corporation, Mobile Information Systems, Volume 2016, Article ID 8354930, 13 pages.Google Scholar
- 9.Karlof C, Wagner D; “Secure routing in wireless sensor networks: attacks and countermeasures”, Ad Hoc Networks Journal, Special Issue on Sensor Network Applications and Protocols, 2003; 113–127.Google Scholar
- 10.Alvaro Diaz, Pablo Sanchez; “Simulation of Attacks for Security in Wireless Sensor Network” Journal of Sensors 2016, 16, 1932.Google Scholar
- 11.Christiana Ioannou, Vasos Vassiliou; “The Impact of Network Layer Attacks in Wireless Sensor Networks” IEEE International Workshop on Secure Internet of Things 2016.Google Scholar