Preserving for a More Just Future: Tactics of Activist Data Archiving
The ownership of the life cycle of data—who creates it, processes it, visualizes it, preserves it—is a question of enormous power in our data-saturated society. The task of collecting, analyzing, and safeguarding large sets of data typically falls within the purview of data professionals: data scientists or statisticians tasked with deciphering the insights of large numbers or variables. Acting like modern-day oracles, they must know what metadata to collect, anticipate the needs of future users, and carefully track changes as data is worked upon and contexts change.
- 2.Brulliard, K. (2017, February 9). USDA removed animal welfare reports from its site. A showhorse lawsuit may be why. Washington Post. Retrieved from https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/animalia/wp/2017/02/09/usda-animal-welfare-records-purge-may-have-been-triggered-by-horse-industry-lawsuit/.
- 3.Bruno, I., Didier, E., & Vitale, T. (2014). Statactivism: Forms of action between disclosure and affirmation. In Partecipazione e Conflitto. The Open Journal of Sociopolitical Studies, 7(2), 198–220.Google Scholar
- 4.Certeau, M. de. (1984). The practice of everyday life. California: University of California Press.Google Scholar
- 6.Daston, L., & Galison, P. (2010). Objectivity. Zone Books.Google Scholar
- 7.Dosemagen, S., Warren, J., & Wylie, S. (2011). Grassroots mapping: Creating a participatory map-making process centered on discourse. The Journal of Aesthetics & Protest, (8). Retrieved from http://joaap.org/issue8/GrassrootsMapping.htm.
- 8.Eilperin, J. (2017, May 6). The EPA just buried its climate change website for kids. Retrieved June 24, 2017, from https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/energy-environment/wp/2017/05/06/epa-buries-climate-change-site-for-kids/.
- 9.Emerson, S. (2017, April 27). The interior department just quietly scrubbed its climate change page. Retrieved June 24, 2017, from https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/kbvkp3/the-interior-department-scrubbed-its-climate-change-page-doi-zinke.
- 10.Jenkins, H., Ford, S. & Green, J. (2013). Spreadable media: Creating value and meaning in a networked culture. US: New York University Press. Google Scholar
- 11.Kawano, Y., Shepard, D., Shobugawa, Y., Goto, J., Suzuki, T., Amaya, Y., … Naito, M. (2012). A map for the future: Measuring radiation levels in Fukushima, Japan. In 2012 IEEE Global Humanitarian Technology Conference (pp. 53–58). https://doi.org/10.1109/GHTC.2012.18.
- 12.Kitchin, R., & Lauriault, T. P. (2014). Towards critical data studies: Charting and unpacking data assemblages and their work (SSRN Scholarly Paper No. ID 2474112). Rochester, NY: Social Science Research Network. Retrieved from https://papers.ssrn.com/abstract=2474112.
- 13.Lartey, J. (2015, June 9). By the numbers: US police kill more in days than other countries do in years. The Guardian. Retrieved from https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/jun/09/the-counted-police-killings-us-vs-other-countries.
- 14.Latour, B. (1986). Visualization and cognition: Thinking with eyes and hands. Knowledge and Society: Studies in the Sociology of Culture Past and Present, 6, 1–40.Google Scholar
- 15.Liboiron, M. (2015). Disaster data, data activism: Grassroots responses to representations of Superstorm Sandy. In J. Leyda & D. Negra (Eds.), Extreme weather and global media (1st ed.). New York: Routledge.Google Scholar
- 16.Milan, S. (2016). Data activism as the new frontier of media activism (SSRN Scholarly Paper No. ID 2882030). Rochester, NY: Social Science Research Network. Retrieved from https://papers.ssrn.com/abstract=2882030.
- 17.Mooney, C., & Eilperin, J. (2017, April 29). EPA website removes climate science site from public view after two decades. Washington Post. Retrieved from https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/energy-environment/wp/2017/04/28/epa-website-removes-climate-science-site-from-public-view-after-two-decades/.
- 20.Suchman, L. (2011). Practice and its overflows: Reflections on order and mess. TECNOSCIENZA: Italian Journal of Science & Technology Studies, 2(1), 21–30.Google Scholar
- 21.Varinsky, D. (n.d.). Data on climate change progress is disappearing from the US State Department website. Retrieved June 27, 2017, from http://www.businessinsider.com/climate-action-reports-disappeared-2017-1.
- 22.Wylie, S. A., Jalbert, K., Dosemagen, S., & Ratto, M. (2014). Institutions for civic technoscience: How critical making is transforming environmental research. The Information Society, 30(2), 116–126.Google Scholar