Vehicle-to-Vehicle Communication—A Vertical Handover Algorithm Based on Vehicle Speed
Vehicular communication is a part of intelligent transport system (ITS) which provides an intelligent way of transport to avoid accidents. Vehicle-to-Vehicle communication (V2V) is carried out through Vehicular Ad hoc Networks (VANET). This paper discusses about the MAC (Media Access Control) layer protocol, features of IEEE802.11p standard, and the handover protocol problems it is facing. Due to vehicle high speed and the non-homogeneous structure of the network infrastructure, support of connectivity by VANET is still a challenging task. In this paper, a vertical handover algorithm has been analyzed using vehicle speed, and the results have been supported by simulation.
KeywordsVANET ITS DSRC WAVE 802.11p Handover
The authors are thankful to Prof. Dinkar Prasad, Head, EE Dept., and Associate Director, School of Engineering., Shiv Nadar University, G. Noida (UP) for providing necessary resources and infrastructure to conduct this project work and for his encouragement and permission to publish this paper.
- 3.Hu B, Gharavi H (2011) A joint vehicle-vehicle and vehicle-roadside communication for highway traffic safety. Int J Veh Technol, Hindawi Publishing CorporationGoogle Scholar
- 4.IEEE standard for information technology-telecommunications and information exchange between systems—local and metropolitan area networks-specific requirements-part 11: wireless LAN medium access control (MAC) and physical layer (PHY) specifications. IEEE Std. 802.11-2012 (2012)Google Scholar
- 5.Li YJ (2015) An overview of the DSRC/WAVE technology. NICTA, NSW, Australia, pp 1–15Google Scholar
- 6.Kwak D, Mo J, Kang M (2009) Investigation of handoffs for IEEE 802.11 networks in vehicular environment. In: Proceedings on first internatinal conference on ubiquitous and future networks (ICUFN-2009). Hongkong, pp 89–94Google Scholar
- 7.Yan Z, Zhou H, Zhang H, Zhang S (2008) Speed based probability-driven seamless handover scheme between WLAN and UMTS. In: Proceedings on 4th international conference on Mobile Ad-hoc and Sensor Networks, Los Alamitos. CA, USA, pp 110–115Google Scholar
- 8.Vegni AM, Esposite F (2010) A speed based vertical handover algorithm for VANET. In: Proceedings of 7th international workshop on intelligent transportation. HumburgGoogle Scholar