Quantum Well Width Effect on Intraband Optical Absorption in Type-II InAs/AlSb Nano-Scale Heterostructure
In this paper, we have studied theoretically the effect of width variation of quantum well on energy dispersion curves and transverse electric (TE) and transverse magnetic (TM) Intraband optical absorption coefficients in type-II InAs/AlSb nanoscale heterostructure by utilizing eight bands Kohn–Luttinger Hamiltonian. The outcomes of the calculations made in this work suggest that the optical absorption and transition energies can be enhanced by reducing the width of quantum well (active) region of the designed heterostructure. One more observation is that the polarization modes have no effect on the behaviour of change in transition energy with change in well width.
KeywordsInAs AlSb Heterostructure Optical absorption Intraband transition
P. A. Alvi and Nisha Yadav are grateful to “Banasthali Center for Research and Education in Basic Sciences” under CURIE programme supported by the DST, Government of India, New Delhi. Authors are also thankful to Dr. Konstantin I. Kolokolov (Physics Department, Moscow State University, Moscow, Russia) for supporting the research work.
- 3.Klokolov KI, Ning CZ (2003) Doping induced type-II to type-I transition and interband optical gain in InAs/AlSb quantum wells. Appl Phys Lett 83(8):1581Google Scholar
- 5.Alvi PA (2017) Transformation of type-II InAs/AlSb nano-scale heterostructure into type-I structure and improving interband optical gain. Phys Status Solidi B. https://doi.org/10.1002/pssb.201600572
- 6.Alvi PA, Gupta S, Sharma M, Jha S, Rahman F (2011) Computational modeling of novel InN/Al0.30 In0.70 N multilayer nano-heterostructure. Physics E 44:49Google Scholar
- 7.Nirmal HK, Yadav N, Rahman F, Alvi PA (2015) Optimization of high optical gain in type-II In0.70 Ga0.30 As/GaAs0.40Sb0.60lasing nano-heterostructure for SWIR applications. Superlattices and Microstruct 88:154–160Google Scholar
- 8.Chuang SL (1995) Physics of optoelectronic devices. Wiley, NYGoogle Scholar