Positioning LED Panel for Uniform Illuminance in Indoor VLC System Using Whale Optimization
In 5G, indoor visible light communication is going to use panel of white light emitting diodes (LED) to provide high-speed communication as well as illumination. In this system, it is important to maintain uniform illuminance as non-uniformity creates bright and dark spots, which may cause discomfort for the occupants. The uniform illuminance depends upon the position and semi-angle of radiation associated with the LED panel. The objective is to optimize the position of the LED panels so that the received power and SNR at all locations in the room are uniform. The optimization task is carried out using a new metaheuristics whale optimization algorithm. Simulation study is performed in a room with dimension 5 × 5 × 3 m, having 4 to 6 LED panels (each with 60 × 60 LEDs). Results reveal that the proposed approach obtained superior uniformity (received power and SNR achieved in dB) compared to that achieved by particle swarm optimization.
KeywordsVisible light communication Uniform illumination Whale optimization algorithm Particle swarm optimization
This research work is supported by Institute Fellowship to I.R. Kumawat by Ministry of HRD, Govt. of India to pursue his Master in Technology in Electronics and Communication Engineering from MNIT Jaipur.
- 2.Komine T (2001) Basic study on visible-light communication using light emitting diode illumination. In: Proceedings of 8th International Symposium on Microwave and Optical Technology, Montreal, Canada, pp 45–48Google Scholar
- 4.Tanaka Y, Komine T, Haruyama S, Nakagawa M (2003) Indoor visible light data transmission system utilizing white LED lights. IEICE Trans Commun 86(8):2440–2454Google Scholar
- 6.Yang H, Lu C (2000) Infrared wireless LAN using multiple optical sources. IEEE Proc Optoelectron, 147(4), 301–307Google Scholar
- 8.Nguyen HQ, Choi JH, Kang M, Ghassemlooy Z, Kim DH, Lim SK, Kang TG, Lee CG (2010) A MATLAB-based simulation program for indoor visible light communication system. In: Proceedings of IEEE 7th International Symposium on Communication Systems Networks and Digital Signal Processing (CSNDSP), pp 537–541Google Scholar
- 12.Kaveh A, Ghazaan MI (2016) Enhanced whale optimization algorithm for sizing optimization of skeletal structures. Mech Based Des Struct Mach, 1–18Google Scholar
- 13.Horng MF, Dao TK, Shieh CS, Nguyen TT (2017) A Multi-objective optimal vehicle fuel consumption based on whale optimization algorithm. In: Advances in intelligent information hiding and multimedia signal processing: proceedings of the twelfth international conference on intelligent information hiding and multimedia signal processing, Kaohsiung, Taiwan, 371–380Google Scholar
- 15.Alexander SB (1997) Optical communication receiver design. Bellingham, Washington, USA: SPIE Optical Engineering Press, 66Google Scholar