Design of an Internal Multi-resonant PIFA Antenna for Mobile Telecommunication Networks
A PIFA antenna which supports hexa bands of various wireless standards in this current era is designed. The proposed antenna is configured with the concept of loop and slot structure in order to acquire wider bandwidth, multiple resonance, and good efficiency and to diminish the size of conventional PIFA antenna. This multiband internal PIFA antenna is having the ability of operating in GSM (900 MHz), Standard Positioning Service (1.176 GHz) of Indian Regional Navigational Satellite System (IRNSS) L5 band UMTS-DCS (1710–1880 MHz) and PCS (1850–1990 MHz), LTE 2300 (2305–2400 MHz) and ISM bands of Wi-Fi/Bluetooth (2.4 GHz). The proposed multiband antenna is designed using the FR4 epoxy substrate with the thickness of 1.6 mm. The simulation results are analyzed and optimized using 3D electromagnetic simulation software which is based on the finite element methodology. Return loss, voltage standing wave ratio (VSWR), radiation pattern, and gain are the attributes obtained and validated for the designed PIFA antenna.
KeywordsPIFA Multiband GSM UMTS LTE ISM IRNSS
The authors would like to thank Dr. R. Rama Rao, Professor and Head Department of Electronics and Communication Engineering/Telecommunication Engineering, SRM University for the valuable guidance during this work.
- 1.Verma A, Chauhan A (2016) Compact slotted meandered PIFA versus conventional PIFA antenna for DCS, GPS, bluetooth/WLAN, 4 G LTE, WiMAX, UMTS, GLONASS applications. In: 3rd international conference on computing for sustainable global development. IEEE Publications, pp 951–954. ISSN: 0973-7529Google Scholar
- 2.Ramteke SM, Prabha S (2015) Multiband patch antenna for wireless communication system. Int J Electr Electron Eng 7(1):204–210. ISSN: 2321-2055Google Scholar
- 3.Khatri RR, Chauhan S (2016) Indian regional navigation satellite system. Int J Innovative Res Technol 2(11):380–384. ISSN: 2349-6002Google Scholar
- 4.Saini M, Gupta U (2014) Indian GPS satellite navigation system: an overview. Int J Enhanced Res Manag Comput Appl 3(6):32–37Google Scholar
- 5.Hong Y, Tak J, Baek J, Myeong B, Choi J (2014) Design of a multiband antenna for LTE/GSM/UMTS band operation, Article ID 548160, vol 2014, 9 p. Hindawi Publishing Corporation, IJAPGoogle Scholar
- 6.Gokul R., Geetha Ramani J (2016) A novel tri band planar inverted F antenna for wireless communication. Middle-East J Sci Res (IDOSI Publications): 695–700. ISSN 1990-9233Google Scholar
- 7.Saini S, Kaur R, Singh S, Kumar N (2015) A compact T-slot multiband planar inverted-F antenna for handheld devices, pp 4209–4214. IEEE Publications. ISSN: 4673-8253Google Scholar
- 8.Zhang T, Li RL, Jin G, Wei G, Tentzeris MM (2015) A novel multiband planar antenna for GSM/ UMTS/ LTE/ Zigbee/RFID mobile devices. IEEE Trans Antenn Propag 59(11):4209–4214Google Scholar
- 9.Saikiran B, Vikram V (2013) IRNSS architecture and applications. KIET Int J Commun Electron 1(3):21–27. ISSN: 2320-8996Google Scholar
- 10.Loharia N, Rana SB (2016) Review of PIFA. Int J Electron Commun Technol 7(2): 66-68. ISSN: 2230-7109|ISSN: 2230-9543Google Scholar
- 11.Hosseini SE, Attari AR, Pourzadi A (2013) Multiband PIFA with a slot on the ground plane for wireless applications. Int J Inf Electron Eng 3(4):349–352Google Scholar
- 12.Gangwar RPS, Rani P (2015) Multiband planar inverted-F antenna (PIFA) for mobile phones. Int J Electr Electron Eng Res 5(6):71–78. ISSN(P): 2250-155XGoogle Scholar