Band Gap Analysis in Defectless Photonic Crystals
Recent advancement in the field of optical communication has made photonic crystals to emerge as a most interesting area for research. Photonic crystal is periodic arrangement of two materials of different dielectric materials that bring about photonic band gap effect. This band gap effect could be understood by analyzing the optical properties of photonic crystals. In this paper, photonic band gap calculations are performed for two-dimensional photonic crystals using MATLAB. The band structure is obtained for different radius to lattice constant ratios and refractive index values.
KeywordsPhotonic crystals Photonic band gap Maxwell’s equations Refractive index
The authors would like to thank ‘Visvesvaraya Ph.D. Scheme for Electronics and IT’—DeitY, for providing the financial support to carry out this research work.
- 1.Joannopoulos JD, Johnson SG, Winn JN, Meade RD (2008) Photonic crystals molding the flow of light. Princeton University PressGoogle Scholar
- 2.Gong Q, Hu X (2013) Photonic crystals principles and applications. DRC Press, Taylor and Francis Group, LLCGoogle Scholar
- 3.Sukhoivanov IA, Guryev IV (2009) Physics and practical modeling. Springer series in optical sciencesGoogle Scholar
- 5.John S (1987) Strong localization of photons in certain disorder dielectric superlattices. Phys Rev Lett 58(23):2486–2489Google Scholar
- 6.Sathyadevaki R, Shanmuga sundar D, Raja AS (2016) Design of dual ring wavelength filters for WDM applications. Opt Commun 380:409Google Scholar
- 7.Umamaheswari C, Shanmuga Sundar D, Sivanantha Raja A (2016) Exploration of photonic crystal circulator based on gyromagnetic properties and scaling of ferrite materials. Opt Commun 380:186–195Google Scholar
- 8.Kaur A, Sappal AS (2014) To calculate band gap in photonic crystal in 2D using finite difference time domain. Int J Innovative Res Sci Technol 1(3)58–60Google Scholar
- 9.Zhao J, Li X, Zong L, Chen G (2009) Calculation of photonic bandgap of one dimensional photonic crystal. J Phy Conf Ser 183Google Scholar
- 10.Sakoda K (2005) Optical properties of photonic crystals. Springer series in optical sciences, 2nd ednGoogle Scholar
- 11.Anthrayose M, Sridarshini T, Indira Gandhi S (Unpublished) Performance analysis and characterization of 2D photonic crystals—an analytical approachGoogle Scholar