35 W GaN Solid-State Driver Power Amplifier for L-Band Radar Applications
In this paper, 35 W driver power amplifier was designed and simulated using GaN HEMT for L-band radar. GaN HEMT is used because it can provide high output power and high gain as compared to other semiconductor technologies. The 35 W output power is generated using CGHV40030 GaN HEMT which is sufficient to drive further stages of power amplifier. The driver amplifier is designed at 1.3 GHz of center frequency. This amplifier is designed in class AB and 60.5% of PAE is achieved.
KeywordsClass AB GaN HEMT L-band radar PAE
- 1.Allen Katz and Marc Franco “GaN comes of Age” in IEEE microwave magazine, December 2005. pp. 524–534.Google Scholar
- 2.David Schnaufer “GaN: The Technology of the Future http://www.rfglobalnet.com/doc/gan-the-technology-of-the-future-0001.
- 3.A. Katz et al. “A linear GaN UHF SSPA with record high efficiency,” in IEEE MTT-S Int. Microwave Symp. Dig., Boston, MA, June 7–12, 2009, pp. 769–772.Google Scholar
- 4.Ken Kikkuchi et al., “An X-Band 300-Watt Class High Power GaN HEMT Amplifier for Radar Applications”, SEI Technical Review, Number 81, October 2015, pp. 40–44.Google Scholar
- 5.Francesco Fornetti “Characterisation and performance optimization of GaN HEMTs and amplifiers for Radar applications” December 2010.Google Scholar
- 6.Andrew Moore and Jose Jimenez “GaN RF Technology For Dummies”, TriQuint Special Edition Published by John Wiley & Sons, Inc. 111 River St. Hoboken, NJ 07030-5774,2014.Google Scholar
- 7.Guest Editorial Special Issue on GaN Electronic Devices “IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices,” vol. 60, no. 10, October 2013, pp. 2975–2981.Google Scholar
- 8.T. Thrivikraman and J. Hoffman, “Design of an ultrahigh efficiency GaN high-power amplifier for SAR remote sensing,” in IEEE Aerospace Conference, pp. 1–6, 2013.Google Scholar
- 9.George Solomon et al., “The VSX3622, a 1.5 kW X-band GaN Power Amplifier for Radar Application”, Communications & Power Industries LLC, Beverly Microwave Division.Google Scholar
- 10.Cree’s Datasheet Online available at: http://www.wolfspeed.com/cghv40030.