Difference Equations, Z-Transforms and Resistive Ladders
It is shown that the semi-infinite and infinite resistive ladder networks composed of identical resistors can be conveniently analyzed by the use of difference equations or z-transforms. Explicit and simple expressions are obtained for the input resistance, node voltages and the resistance between two arbitrary nodes of the network.
KeywordsInfinite networks Resistive ladders Difference equations Z-transforms
This work was supported by the Indian National Science Academy through the Honorary Scientist scheme.
- 1.E.M. Purcell, in Electricity and Magnetism, Berkeley Physics Course—Vol. 2, 2nd edn. (New York, McGraw-Hill, 1985), pp. 167–168Google Scholar
- 2.F.W. Sears, M.W. Zemansky, in College Physics, World Students, 5th edn. (Reading, MA, Addison-Wesley, 1980)Google Scholar
- 4.L. Lavatelli, The resistive net and difference equation. American J. Phys. 40(9), 1246–1257 (1972, September)Google Scholar
- 8.B. Denardo, J. Earwood, V. Sazonava, Experiments with electrical resistive networks. American J. Phys. 67(11), 981–986 (1999, November)Google Scholar
- 13.S.K. Mitra, in Digital Signal Processing—A Computer Based Approach, 3rd edn, Chapter 6 (New York, McGraw-Hill, 2006)Google Scholar