Standing in Our Indigenous Ways and Beliefs: Designing Indigenous Architecture in North America over Four Decades
Johnpaul Jones is a co-director of Jones and Jones Architects + Landscape Architects + Planners located in Seattle, Washington. Jones, the son of a Welsh-American father and a mother of Choctaw and Cherokee heritage. He spent his early years in the family’s tenant farmhouse on the outskirts of the town of Okmulgee, the capital of the Creek Nation (located in rural Oklahoma). “In those days Indians couldn’t live in town, and neither could blacks.”
- Bach, D. (2015, March 10). As home for Native learning opens, a dream is realized. University of Washington News. http://www.washington.edu/news/2015/03/10/as-home-for-native-learning-opens-a-dream-is-realized/. Accessed 14 June 2017.
- Green, S. (2004, September 21). Architect helped create a place for Indians to share their stories. Seattle Times. http://old.seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2002041637_jonesprofile21m.html. Accessed 13 June 2017.
- Hancock, M. (2010). Jones, Johnpaul (b. 1941) Architect: HistoryLink.org Essay 9472. http://www.historylink.org/File/9472. Accessed 13 June 2017.
- Jones & Jones Architects. (2017). Southern Ute Cultural Center and Museum: Information sheet. http://www.jonesandjones.com/work/pdf/living/Southern_Ute_Cultural_Center_and_Museum.pdf. Accessed 13 June 2017.
- King, D. (2009). Exhibiting culture: American Indians and museums. Tulsa Law Review, 45, 25.Google Scholar
- Krinsky, C. H. (2004). Architecture of Washington’s newest museum. Wall Street Journal (Dec. 6).Google Scholar
- Krinsky, C. H. (2018). Contemporary Native North American architecture between 1966 and 1996. In E. Grant, K. Greenop, A. L. Refiti, & D. Glenn (Eds.), Handbook of contemporary Indigenous Architecture. Singapore: Springer.Google Scholar
- Lonetree, A., & Cobb, A. (Eds.). (2008). The National Museum of the American Indian: Critical conversations. Lincoln: University of Nebraska Press.Google Scholar
- Long, K. (2015, March 12). New longhouse at UW a dream realized. Seattle Times. http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/education/new-longhouse-at-uw-a-dream-realized/. Accessed 14 June 2017.
- Malnar, J., & Vodvarka, F. (2013). New Architecture on Indigenous Lands. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press.Google Scholar
- Malnar, J., & Vodvarka, F. (2014). Architectural design for living artifacts. In N. Levent, & A. Pascual-Leone (Eds.), The multisensory museum: Cross-cultural perspectives on touch, sound, smell memory, and space. Lanham: Rowman & Littlefield.Google Scholar
- Pieris, A. (2016). Indigenous museums and cultural centers: An illustrated international survey. New York: Rowman & Littlefield.Google Scholar
- Robbins, J. (2014). Awards and honors: 2013 National Humanities Medallist: Johnpaul Jones. National Endowment for the Humanities. https://www.neh.gov/about/awards/national-humanities-medals/johnpaul-jones. Accessed 14 June 2017.
- The University of Washington. (2017). wǝɫǝbʔaltxʷ: Intellectual House. http://www.washington.edu/diversity/tribal-relations/intellectual-house/. Accessed 30 June 2017.
- The White House Office of the Press Secretary. (2014). Press release: Remarks by the President at the presentation of the 2013 National Medal of Arts and National Humanities Medal. https://obamawhitehouse.archives.gov/the-press-office/2014/07/28/remarks-presidentpresentation-2013-national-medal-arts-and-national-hum. Accessed 18 July 2017.
- Thrush, C. (2017). Native Seattle: Histories from the Crossing-Over Place (2nd ed.). Seattle: The University of Washington Press.Google Scholar