Near Optimal Online Resource Allocation Scheme for Energy Harvesting Cloud Radio Access Network with Battery Imperfections
In energy harvesting wireless networks, the energy storage devices are usually imperfect. In this paper, we investigate dynamic online resource allocation scheme for Energy Harvesting Cloud Radio Access Network (EH-CRAN) by jointly considering the EH process, data admission, and a practical battery model with finite battery capacity, energy charging and discharging loss. We use Lyapunov optimization technique and design data queue and energy queue to formulate a stochastic optimization problem, and decompose the formulated problem into three subproblems, including data scheduling, power allocation and routing scheduling. Based on the solutions of these subproblems, an online resource allocation algorithm is proposed to maximize the user utility while ensuring the sustainability of RRHs. Furthermore, this algorithm does not require any prior statistical information of the system, e.g., channel state, data arrival and EH process. Both performance analysis and simulation results demonstrate the proposed algorithm can achieve close-to-optimal utility.
KeywordsCloud Radio Access Networks (C-RANs) Resource allocation optimization Energy harvesting (EH) Battery imperfections
This work is supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (Grant No.71633006, Grant No. 61672540, Grant No. 61379057). This work is supported by The Fund of Postgraduate Student Independent Innovation Project of Central South University (2017zzzts625).
- 8.Biason, A., Zorzi, M.: Energy harvesting communication system with SOC-dependent energy storage losses (2016)Google Scholar
- 11.Wang, K., Yang, K., Magurawalage, C.S.: Joint energy minimization and resource allocation in C-RAN with mobile cloud. IEEE Trans. Cloud Comput. 99(1) (2015)Google Scholar
- 13.Sun, Y., Li, C., Huang, Y., Yang, L.: Energy-efficient resource allocation in C-RAN with fronthaul rate constraints. In: International Conference on Wireless Communications and Signal Processing, pp. 1–6 (2016)Google Scholar
- 14.Zeng, T., Zhen, M.A., Wang, G., Zhong, Z.: Green circuit design for battery-free sensors in cloud radio access network. China Commun. 12(11), 1–11 (2015)Google Scholar
- 15.Qiao, G., Leng, S., Zhang, Y., Zeng, M., Xu, L.: Multiple time-scale energy scheduling with energy harvesting aided heterogeneous cloud radio access networks. In: IEEE/CIC International Conference on Communications in China, pp. 1–6 (2016)Google Scholar
- 16.Biason, A., Zorzi, M.: On the effects of battery imperfections in an energy harvesting device, pp. 1–7 (2016)Google Scholar
- 17.Chalasani, S., Conrad, J.M.: A survey of energy harvesting sources for embedded systems. In: Southeastcon, pp. 442–447 (2008)Google Scholar