The Faculty Spreads Its Wings
Up until recently, the Faculty of Medicine of the University of Hong Kong had little choice in terms of a teaching hospital for its students. From 1914 on, the Government Civil Hospital became its teaching hospital, which was replaced by Queen Mary Hospital after it opened in 1937. But developments in the first decade of the twenty-first century led to a great expansion with the faculty now having as affiliated hospitals not only Queen Mary, a public hospital, but also the privately-owned Hong Kong Sanatorium & Hospital (HKSH), the HKU-Shenzhen Hospital, a public hospital in mainland China, which it runs but does not own, and the brand new privately owned and run Hong Kong Gleneagles Hospital (GHK). The new affiliated hospitals should give the Faculty the ability to enrich student teaching with better physical accommodation as well as a greater abundance of learning materials in both public and private settings. At the same time, the network of affiliated teaching hospitals would offer otherwise non-existent paths of training for specialists and allied healthcare professionals as well as an opportunity for the intellectual growth of the academic staff and their contribution to research.