Faculty Evolves into Regional Medical Education Hub
The proclamation of the People’s Republic of China in 1949 after the Communist victory in the civil war saw the nationalization of the Peking Union Medical College. The China Medical Board, its sponsor, then turned its attention to other parts of Asia, often by providing traveling fellowships. This, however, led to a brain drain as Asian doctors migrated to the United States. The CMB then decided to turn Hong Kong and Singapore into regional medical hubs, where doctors from Asian countries could get advanced training. Beginning in 1977, Hong Kong helped train specialists from the Philippines, Indonesia, Thailand, South Korea and Taiwan. Hong Kong’s trainers, meanwhile, could get advanced training in the U.S. or other western countries. This culminated with the opening of China and the acceptance in the early 1980s of applicants from the mainland seeking training at the Faculty.