Institutional Barriers to Development in the State of Nagaland
Assessing Nagaland’s economy from the usual economic denominators like Gross State Domestic Product (GSDP), Per Capita Income, Human Development Index (HDI), economic growth rate, etc., gives the misleading picture that the state is doing well. There are other indicators which show the weak side of the state’s economy: there is a preponderance of the service sector, the public administration contributes nearly a fifth of the state’s GSDP, the industrial sector is small, the infrastructure is poor and the state is dependent on the central government. The state’s economy has these ills because of the political problem that it is stuck in, resulting in the existence of many nationalist groups and a consequent weak government. Unless this is solved, Nagaland will continue to have the same economic problems it is having.
KeywordsGross state domestic product (GSDP) Service sector Administration Political problem
- AFSPA Unleashes Its Brutality. (2015, June 9). The Morung express. Retrieved from http://morungexpress.com.
- Assam Rifles Puts Burden of July 16 Shooting on People. (2015, July 17). The Morung express. Retrieved from http://morungexpress.com.
- Brahmachary, P. (2007). Development of infrastructure in the districts of Nagaland: Trends and disparities. A thesis submitted to Assam University in Partail Fulfilment of the Requirement for the Degree of Doctor of Philosophy in the Department of Economics (p. 112). Retrieved from http://shodhganga.inflibnet.ac.in/handle/10603/20472.
- Businessman Assaulted in Dimapur Market. (2015, July 3). The Morung express. Retrieved from http://www.nagalandpost.com.
- Government of India. Data-book compiled for use of planning commission (p. 81). Retrieved from http://planningcommission.gov.in.
- Government of India. (2015). Finances of the state Government (p. 1). Retrieved from http://www.saiindia.gov.in/english/home/our_products/Audit_Report/Government_Wise/state_audit/recent_reports/Nagaland/2015/SF/Chap_1.pdf.
- Government of Nagaland. (2013). Statistical handbook of Nagaland (p. 21, 78–81).Google Scholar
- Manipur Ambush. (2015, June 5). The Indian express. Retrieved from http://indianexpress.com.
- Nagaland Pol. Parties Spend Over Rs. 937 Crores in Assembly Polls. (2013, November 8). WebIndia123 Retrieved from http://news.webindia123.com/news/articles/india/20131108/2280298.html.
- North East Resources Databank. Retrieved from http://databank.nedfi.com/.
- One Shot Dead in Dimapur. (2015, August 3). Nagaland Post. Retrieved from http://www.nagalandpost.com.
- The role of institutions in economic development. Retrieved from http://www.palgrave.com/resources/sample-chapters/9780230222298_sample.pdf.
- Vajpayee Launches Mobile Service in Nagaland, Calls for Peace. (2003, October 2008). Silicon India news. Retrieved from http://www.siliconindia.com.
- Vyasan, R. (2015, August 17). The employment scenario in India. The Morung express. http://morungexpress.com.