An Inquiry into the Dynamics of Inequality from the Perspective of Caste
This study analyses the economic inequality in India, with particular reference to Kerala in the post-reform period considering different caste groups namely, SC, ST, OBC and ‘Others’ as mentioned in NSS Household level Consumption Expenditure Survey Data. Two rounds of NSSO data viz. 61st and 66th were taken for the purpose of analysis. Gini coefficient and overlapping index were estimated for the whole as well as the subgroups using ANOGI methodology. From the analysis, it was found that the level of overall inequality as well as the intergroup inequality is on the rise in Kerala as well as India during the period of analysis. The study also identified the possibility of stratification among the group ‘Others’ for both India and Kerala. Further, it was found that SC’s and ST’s (in particular) bear the burden of the increasing inequality. This indicates that the various welfare measures initiated by the central as well as state governments might not have reached the majority of these downtrodden communities.
KeywordsInequality NSSO Kerala Gini Caste
- Frick, J. R., Goebel, J., Schechtman, E., Wagner, G. G., & Yitzhaki, S. (2004). Using analysis of Gini (Anogi) for detecting whether two sub-samples represent the same universe: The SOEP experience. Discussion Paper No. 1049, IZA, Germany.Google Scholar
- Frick, J. R., & Goebel, J. (2005). Regional income stratification in unified Germany using a Gini decomposition approach. Discussion Papers—504, German Institute for Economic Research, Berlin.Google Scholar
- Himanshu. (2007). Recent trends in poverty and inequality: Some preliminary results. Economic and Political Weekly, 42(6), 497–508.Google Scholar
- Jann, B., & Masterson, T. (2007). Anogi: Stata module to generate Analysis of Gini. Retrieved from http://ideas.repec.org/c/boc/bocode/s456730.html. (Accessed July 05, 2015).
- Jayadev, A., Motiram, S., & Vakulabharanam, V. (2007). Patterns of wealth disparities in India during the era of liberalization. Economic and Political Weekly, 42(39), 3853–3863.Google Scholar
- Lasswell, T. E. (1965). Class and stratum. Boston, Massachusetts: Houghton Mifflin Company.Google Scholar
- Motiram, S., & Sarma, N. (2011). Polarization, inequality and growth: The Indian experience. Working Paper—2011–011, IGIDR, Mumbai.Google Scholar
- Nagaraj, R. (2000). Indian economy since the 1980s: Virtuous growth or polarization? Economic and Political Weekly, 35(32), 2831–2839.Google Scholar
- Parayil, G. (2000). Kerala: The Development Experience: Reflections on Sustainability and Replicability. London: Zed Books.Google Scholar
- Planning Commission. (2011). Data book for Deputy Chairman. Retrieved from http://planningcommission.nic.in/reports/genrep/ar_eng1112.pdf (Accessed August 07, 2015).
- Sarkar, S., & Mehta, B. S. (2010). Income inequality in India: Pre- and post-reform periods. Economic and Political Weekly, 45(37), 45–55.Google Scholar
- Sen, A., & Himanshu. (2004a). Poverty and inequality in India-I. Economic and Political Weekly, 39(38), 4247–4263.Google Scholar
- Sen, A., & Himanshu. (2004b). Poverty and inequality in India—Growing disparities in the 1990s. Economic and Political Weekly, 39(39), 4361–4375.Google Scholar
- Subramanian, S., & Jayaraj, D. (2006). The distribution of household wealth in India. Research Paper No. 2006/116, Prepared within the UNU-WIDER project on Personal Assets from a Global Perspective.Google Scholar
- Subramanian, S., & Prasad, S. (2008). Rising inequality with high growth isn’t this trend worrisome? Analysis of Kerala experience. Working Paper—401, CDS, Trivandrum.Google Scholar
- Sundaram, K., & Tendulkar, S. D. (2003). Poverty among social and economic groups in India in the nineteen nineties. Working paper—118, Centre for Development Economics, Delhi School of Economics.Google Scholar
- Yitzhaki, S., & Lerman, R. (1991). Income Stratification and Income Inequality. Review of Income and Wealth, 37(3), 313–329.Google Scholar
- Zhong, W., Vakulabharanam, V., Ruparelia, S., Ming, Y., Deshpande, A., & Banerjee, L. (2010). Wealth Inequality: China And India: India China Institute collaborative Project. Prosperity and inequality in India and China, 2008–2010. New York: India China Institute, The New School.Google Scholar