The genesis of this volume was the 17th Biennial Conference of Association of Gerontology, India and the International Conference on Engaging and Empowering the Elderly held at the Centre for Development Studies in Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala, India in September 2014. At this meeting many papers on the topic of abuse and neglect of the elderly were presented, indicating the popularity of the theme and the need to pay more theoretical and empirical attention to the topic. The editors, both involved with the conference (Shankardass as a participant and session chair on elder abuse, Rajan as the organizer in his capacity as the President of the Association of Gerontology), joined together afterwards and decided to publish a volume by inviting contributions from a few of the conference presenters and others whose work has aided better understanding on the topic.
We start the chapter by presenting some socio-demographic data on ageing derived by Rajan from the latest census of India,...
- Giordano, N.H., and J.A. Giordano. 1984. Elder abuse: A review of the literature. Social Work 29 (3): 232–236. JSTOR (23714248).Google Scholar
- Irudaya Rajan, S. and S. Sunitha. 2015. Demography of ageing in India 2011–2101. Helpage India Research and Development Journal. 21 (2): 13–22.Google Scholar
- Sethi, D., et al. 2011. European report on preventing elder maltreatment. Denmark: World Health Organization. Regional Office for Europe.Google Scholar
- Shankardass, Mala Kapur. 2003. Combating elder abuse in India: An emerging social, legal and public health concern. Symposists’ Papers, Invited Symposia on Elder Abuse, Executive Editor, Toshio Tatara, Tokyo International Forum, Japan.Google Scholar
- Shankardass, Mala Kapur. 2013. Addressing elder abuse: Review of societal responses in India and selected Asian countries. International Psychogeriatrics, 1–6, International Psychogeriatric Association.Google Scholar
- United Nations. 2002. Department of Public Information, DPI/2264, Report of the Secretary-General Kofi Annan released at the Second World Assembly on Ageing, Madrid, Spain 8–12 April 2002.Google Scholar
- United Nations. 2013. Neglect, abuse and violence against older women, 1–48. New York: United Nations Publication. Available from http://undesadspd.org/Ageing.aspx.
- United States Census Bureau. 2016. An Aging World: 2015, International Population Reports, U. S. Department of Commerce, Economics and Statistics Administration.Google Scholar
- WHO. 2002. Missing voices: Views of older persons on elder abuse. Geneva: World Health Organization.Google Scholar