White Cane Navigation Using Arduino Uno
Visually disabled people have always been looked at sympathetically by the society. According to a count around 87% men and 91% women are visually impaired or weak in India alone  along with this, globally the estimated count rises as high as 285 million . Our research aims at solving their problem of navigation to a certain extent. This research has been proposed to introduce a device which will help the blind to reach their destination accurately with the help of Google Maps. It proposes a Bluetooth-enabled white cane to help the people reach their destination. The Google Maps API navigation is used and is implemented through an Arduino to navigate the visually disabled via buzzing sensations.
KeywordsWhite cane Android Navigation for blind Visually impaired Blind aid
- 1.Murti G.V.S (2005) et al “Current estimates of blindness in India” Journal of Br J Ophthalmol Mar; 89(3): 257–260.Google Scholar
- 2.Mariotti S.P., Pascolini D. (2012) “Global estimates of visual impairment” Journal of Br J Ophthalmol May; 96(5):614–8.Google Scholar
- 3.Masnah, G. (2015). Blind Navigation System using Arduino Uno with 1Sheeld [PDF FILE]. Retrieved from www.eprints.utem.edu.my/.
- 4.Mau S. (2008) et al “BlindAid: An Electronic Travel Aid for the Blind” Journal of The Robotics Institute Carnegie Mellon University Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15213.Google Scholar
- 5.Howell, Jerry. (2000, August). White Cane Basics. Retrieved from www.howellmobility.com/html/basics/.
- 6.Dube, Ryan. (2010, June 24). Use Google Maps Navigation For Turn-By-Turn GPS [Android]. Retrieved from www.makeuseof.com/.
- 7.Itead (2017, March 24). Serial Port Bluetooth Module (Master/Slave). Retrieved from https://www.itead.cc/wiki/.
- 8.TechDepot (2008, September 30) Connecting HC-05 Bluetooth Module to Arduino Retrieved from http://www.instructables.com/id/.
- 9.Selvam, K.C. (2012) “A novel voltage divider circuit.” Journal of Engineering, Technology & applied science research. 2.5: 278–280.Google Scholar
- 10.Shenoy, M. (2013, May 16) “5 V power supply using 7805 voltage regulator with design”. Retrieved from www.electrosome.com/.
- 11.“Arduino Bluetooth Basic tutorial” (2016, May 23). Retrieved from www.create.arduino.cc.
- 12.Google and Open Handset Alliance n.d. Android API guide. http://developer.android.com/bluetooth. Accessed March 4, 2017.
- 13.Google and Open Handset Alliance n.d. Android API guide. http://developer.android.com/maps/documentation/androiAPI/. Accessed March 8, 2017.