Structural Repair and Strengthening of RC Elements with Concrete Jacketing
Extensive investigations on repair and retrofitting of reinforced concrete elements have been undertaken in recent years and many methods have been developed, tested and reported in the literature. The reinforced concrete jacketing has been considered as one of the important and used methods to correct design errors, deficient concrete production and execution processes, repair damage after earthquake, accidents or in the cases where it is needed to proceed with the change in the functionality of the structure etc. In this chapter is performed a brief review of the literature concerning the numerical and experimental research performed as well as the detailing recommendation and general criteria and procedures used in the concrete jacketing. In the end it is presented an example of an application of RC jacketing to correct a soft-storey mechanism in an existent RC building and it is presented the recent experience in the use of reinforced concrete jacketing in the Kathmandu University after the 2015 Gorkha Earthquake.
KeywordsRC jacketing Repair procedures Reliability Strengthening
- 3.Rodriguez M, Park R. Seismic load tests on reinforced contrete columns strengthened by jacketing. ACI Struct J. 1994;91:150–9.Google Scholar
- 5.Júlio E, Branco F. Reinforced concrete jacketing—interface influence on cyclic loading response. ACI Struct J. 2008; 105(4):1–7. https://www.concrete.org/publications/internationalconcreteabstractsportal.aspx?m=details&ID=19861.
- 6.Júlio E, Branco F, Silva V. Reinforced concrete jacketing—interface influence on monotonic loading response. ACI Struct J. 2005; 252–57.Google Scholar
- 8.Krainskyi P, Blikharskiy Z, Khmil R. Experimental investigation of reinforced concrete columns strengthened by jacketing. J Multidiscip Eng Sci Technol (JMEST). 2015; 2:1959–1963.Google Scholar
- 9.Bindhu K, Mohana N, Sivakumar S. New reinforcement detailing for concrete jacketing of nonductile exterior beam column joints. J Perform Constr Facil. 2014; 30(1) (February 2016). https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)CF.1943-5509.0000700.
- 10.Alcocer S. RC frame connections rehabilitated by jacketing. J Struct Eng. 1993; 119(5) (May 1993). https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1993)119:5(1413).
- 11.Cheong H, MacAlevey N. Experimental behavior of jacketed reinforced concrete beams. J Struct Eng. 2000; 126.Google Scholar
- 16.Chalioris C, Pourzitidis C. Rehabilitation of shear-damaged reinforced concrete beams using self-compacting concrete jacketing. International Scholarly Research Network. 2012.Google Scholar
- 17.Thermou G, Papanikolaou V, Kappos A. Cyclic response of R/C jacketed columns including modelling of the interface behaviour. Presented at the 15th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Lisboa, 2012.Google Scholar
- 18.Nishad C, Anto J. Non linear analysis of jacketed reinforced concrete column. Int J Eng Trends Technol (IJETT). 2015; 28:369–373.Google Scholar
- 19.Siddappa KYG, Chandra S, Anushree. Finite element analysis of jacketed reinforced concrete columns subjected to axial and uniaxial load. Int J Res Eng Technol. 2015; 4:132–138.Google Scholar
- 22.Furtado A, Rodrigues H, Varum H, Costa A. Evaluation of different strengthening techniques’ efficiency for a soft storey building. Eur J Environ Civ Eng. 2015; 1–18.Google Scholar
- 23.SeismoSoft. SeismoStruc—a computer program for static and dynamic nonlinear analysis of framed structures; 2004. http://www.seismosoft.com.
- 24.Varum H. Seismic assessment, strengthening and repair of existing buildings. Aveiro: Departamento de Engenharia Civil, Universidade de Aveiro; 2003.Google Scholar
- 25.EC2. Design of concrete structure, part 1-1: general rules and rules for buildings. European standard EN 1992-1-1. European Committee for Standardization (CEN), Brussels; 2004.Google Scholar
- 26.Eurocode 8. Design of structures for earthquake resistance—Part 1–3: Strengthening and repair of buildings—European prEN 1998-1-3, B. European Committee for Standardization, Belgium; 2003.Google Scholar
- 28.SEAOC-Vision2000. Performance based seismic engineering of buildings, vols. I and II: Conceptual framework. Ed: Structural Engineers Association of California, Sacramento (CA); 1995.Google Scholar
- 29.FEMA356. Prestandard and commentary for the seismic rehabilitation of buildings. Ed: Federal Emergency Management Agency, Washington (DC); 2000.Google Scholar
- 30.Gobarah A. On drift limits associated with different damage levels. In: Proceedings of the international workshop Bled Slovenia; 2004, pp 321–332.Google Scholar
- 31.Magenes G, Pampanin S. Seismic response for gravity-load designed frame systems with masonry infills. Presented at the 13th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering (13WCEE), Vancouver, BC, Canada; 2004.Google Scholar
- 32.Evaluation of Earthquake Damage Concrete and Masonry Wall Buildings—Basic Procedures Manual Federal Emergency Management Agency; 1999.Google Scholar
- 33.Evaluation of Earthquake Damage Concrete and Masonry Wall Buildings—Technical Resources Federal Emergency Management Agency; 1999.Google Scholar
- 35.IS 15988. Seismic Evaluation and Strengthening of Existing Reinforced Concrete Buildings — Guidelines, Bureau of Indain Standards, New Delhi; 2013.Google Scholar
- 36.Pradhan PM, Adhikari R, Dahal A, Shrestha A, Subedi DL, Thapa S, Kharel P. Retrofitting Design of Kathmandu University Library Building after Gorkha Earthquake 2015. Lowland Technology International (Accepted for Special Issue on “Nepal Earthquake and Disasters”), vol 18, No 2; 2016.Google Scholar