- 355 Downloads
Why has the demographic issue in Japan long been neglected? There are a variety of background factors, including the state’s fear of repeating prewar militarist policies that promoted a “give birth and multiply” ideology and the postwar memory of overpopulation and food shortages.
- Agency for Cultural Affairs. (2015). Regarding the acceptance of foreign labor (Seifu zentai ni okeru gaikokujinzai no ukeire katsuyo ni kansuru ugoki nado). http://www.bunka.go.jp/seisaku/bunkashingikai/kokugo/nihongo/nihongo_66/pdf/sanko_4.pdf, accessed on September 25, 2016 (in Japanese).
- Asahi Shimbun. (2008, December 25). Learn from the Showa Depression, 1929, from USA (1929-nen Beikoku-hatsu showa kyoko ni manabe). Asahi Shimbun (morning edition). Google Scholar
- Cabinet Office. (2008). Awareness survey of child-raising women on declining birth rate society measures, Chapter 5, 43. http://www8.cao.go.jp/shoushi/shoushika/research/cyousa20/ishiki/pdf/02chap_5.pdf, accessed on September 25, 2016 (in Japanese).
- Cabinet Office. (2013). Declining Birth Rate White Paper: 2013 (Heisei 25nenban shoshika shakai taisaku hakusho). http://www8.cao.go.jp/shoushi/shoushika/whitepaper/measures/w-2013/25webhonpen/html/b1_s1-1.html, accessed on September 25, 2016. (in Japanese).
- Cabinet Office. (2014a). Abstract from the Third Choice for the Future Meeting (Giji yoshi). http://www5.cao.go.jp/keizai-shimon/kaigi/special/future/0224/gijiyoushi.pdf, accessed on September 25, 2016.(in Japanese).
- Cabinet Office. (2014b). Council on Economic and Fiscal Policy, Expert Panel, Committee for Japan’s Future. Choice for the Future—Interim Report. http://www5.cao.go.jp/keizai-shimon/kaigi/special/future/chuukanseiri/01_e.pdf, accessed on September 25, 2016.
- Chino, Masato. (2009). When Is Year One of the Society with Declining Population (Jinko gensho Shakai “Gannen” wa itsuka). Statistics Today 9, http://www.stat.go.jp/info/today/009.htm, accessed on September 25, 2016 (in Japanese).
- Daiki, Shoki. (2006, January 7). Overcoming the Demographic Challenge (Jinko mondai no kokufuku ni mukete). Nikkei Shimbun (morning edition).Google Scholar
- Economic Planning Agency. (1992). White Paper on the National Lifestyle -Arrival of a Society with a Small Number of Children: Impact and Response (Kokumin hakusho- shoshika shakai no torai, sono eikyo to taisaku). http://www5.cao.go.jp/seikatsu/whitepaper/h4/wp-pl92-01503.html, accessed on September 25, 2016 (in Japanese).
- Employment Measures Act (Koyo taisaku ho). (1966). http://law.e-gov.go.jp/htmldata/S41/S41HO132.html, accessed on September 25, 2016 (in Japanese).
- Goto, Hitoshi. (2012). Cabinet Secretariat Reference: Policy on Permanent Resident of Foreign National of Japanese Origin (Nikkei teiju gaikokujin shisaku ni tsuite). http://www.cas.go.jp/jp/seisaku/kyousei/dai1/siryou7.pdf, accessed on September 25, 2016 (in Japanese).
- International Labour Organization (ILO). (1952). Social Security (Minimum Standards) Convention (ILO Convention No. 102). http://blue.lim.ilo.org/cariblex/pdfs/ILO_Convention_102.pdf, accessed on September 25, 2016.
- Japan Private Sector Trade Union Confederation. (1988). Japan Private Sector Trade Union Confederation’s Standards on Prerequisite and Criterion for Accepting Foreign Workers.Google Scholar
- Keidanren. (2004). Proposal about the issue of foreign acceptance (Gaikokujin Ukeire Mondai ni Kansuru Teigen), http://www.keidanren.or.jp/japanese/policy/2004/029/, accessed on February 17, 2017 (by Japanese).
- Kito, Hiroshi. (2006, May 18). Economics Class Keizai Kyoshitsu: Living with a Declining Population: Prescription for the Future (part 2 of 3) (Jinkogen to ikiru (chu)—Mirai he no shohosen). Nikkei Shimbun (morning edition). Google Scholar
- Mainichi Shimbun. (1990, March 2). Prime Minister Toshiki Kaifu’s Policy Speech Part 3. Mainichi Shimbun (evening edition).Google Scholar
- Mainichi Shimbun. (2016, February 9) On the Edges of the Argument: Getting Jobs En Masse Began in Pre-War Years (Ron no shuhen: senzen ni sakanoboru shudan shushoku). Mainichi Shimbun (evening edition).Google Scholar
- Malthus, Thomas. (1798). An Essay on the Principle of Population. London: J. Johnston.Google Scholar
- MHLW. (2005). Documents about Declining birth rate (Syoushika mondai tou ni kansuru Shiryou), http://www.mhlw.go.jp/shingi/2005/02/dl/s0201-3d.pdf, accessed on February 17, 2017 (in Japanese).
- MIC. (2015, September 20). Japan’s Elderly (65 and older) as Seen in Statistics (Tokei kara mita wagakuni no koreisha (65-sai ijo)). Statistical Topics No. 90 (Press release), http://www.stat.go.jp/data/topics/pdf/topics90.pdf, accessed on September 25, 2016 (in Japanese).
- MOFA. (2001, January 31). Policy Speech By Prime Minister Yoshiro Mori to the 151st Session of the Diet. http://www.mofa.go.jp/announce/announce/2001/1/0131-2.html, accessed on August 9, 2017
- MOJ. (1950, May 4). Public Assistance Act (Act No. 144). http://www.japaneselawtranslation.go.jp/law/detail_main?vm=&id=24, accessed on September 25, 2016.
- MOJ. (2015). Number of foreign resident by nationality/region (kokuseki/chiiki betsu zairyuu gaikokujin no suii), http://www.moj.go.jp/content/001160917.pdf, accessed on February 17, 2017 (in Japanese).
- National Diet Library. (1990, March 2). Prime Minister Toshiki Kaifu’s Policy Speech, http://kokkai.ndl.go.jp/SENTAKU/sangiin/118/0010/11803020010002a.html, accessed on February 17, 2017.
- Nikkei. (2015). 25 Years of Japan’s Declining Birthrate (Nippon shōshika no 25-nen dēta to tomoni tadoru), http://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXMZO88001290S5A610C1I00000/, accessed on February 21, 2017 (in Japanese).
- Nikkeiren. (2001). The Labor Studies Committee Report (Roudou Mondai Kenkyu Iinkai Houkoku), http://www.jil.go.jp/foreign/event/kouen/20020125/pdf/t3-1.pdf, P17 18, accessed on February 20, 2017 (in Japanese).
- Nikkei Veritas. (2014, April 20). Immigration as an Option: Lack of Manpower, Calls for Its Use Suddenly Growing, Treatment as “Convenient Labor,” (Imin to iu sentakushi—hitodebusoku, niwaka ni moriagaru katsuyoron, ‘Benri na rodoryoku’ atsukai, choki dewa kakuho muzukashiku”). Nikkei Veritas.Google Scholar
- OECD. (2013). International Immigration Outlook 2013, http://static.pulso.cl/20130612/1768132.pdf, accessed on February 17, 2017.
- The Council on Population Problems (Ed.). (1974) Trend in the Population in Japan—Heading for a stationary population. (Tokyo: The Council on Population Problems)Google Scholar
- Tokyo Metropolitan Government. (2013). In Tokyo Metropolitan Government: Types of Special Zones. http://www.seisakukikaku.metro.tokyo.jp/invest_tokyo/english/invest-tokyo/index.html, accessed on September 25, 2016.
- Ueki, Yuko. (2011). Review of the Parental Authority System in Order to Prevent Child Abuse—Bill to Amend Parts of the Civil Code, etc. Research Office Committee on Judicial Affairs. (Jido gyakutai boshi no tameno shinkenmondai no minaoshi). House of Councillors Research Office Document No.320, 4. http://www.sangiin.go.jp/japanese/annai/chousa/rippou_chousa/backnumber/2011pdf/20110905003.pdf, accessed on September 25, 2016 (in Japanese).
- Yamaguchi, Kazuo (2013), Analytical facts in considering the declining birth rate—Cabinet Office Declining Birth Rate Crisis Breakthrough Taskforce Report, (Shoshika taisaku wo kangaeru ni atatte no bunseki jigyo). http://www8.cao.go.jp/shoushi/shoushika/meeting/taskforce/k_1/pdf/s7.pdf, accessed on September 25, 2016 (in Japanese).