Adaptive PI Control of STATCOM for Stability Improvement of Power System
The power system today has become a very complicated network with thousands of generating stations, distribution and load centres which are interconnected through power transmission lines. So, the sudden increase of load in order to meet the demand leads to voltage instability in the power system. For overbear the steady-state control difficulties in power systems, Flexible Alternating Current Transmission Systems (FACTS) controllers came into use. Among various FACTS controllers, Static Shunt Compensators shortly termed as STATCOM are efficient enough to provides instantaneous requirement of reactive power support to maintain stability of voltage in the power system. The STATCOM with proportional integral (PI) controllers act as a trail-and-error approach because the PI controller parameters are not fixed. This paper proposes a new control method where PI controllers will self-adjust their control parameters at the time of any disturbances or variation in the load so that the performance of the power system will match the desired response, despite of any change in the operating conditions. The projected work was enforced in MATLAB/SIMULINK.
KeywordsStatic synchronous compensator (STATCOM) State-space vector pulse width modulation (SVPWM) Flexible alternating current transmission system (FACTS) Voltage source converter (VSC)
- 1.Jaswani, M., Bharti, S., Dubey, S.P.: A study of reactive power compensation in transmission system. Int. J. Adv. Eng. Res. Stud/IV/II/Jan.–March 351, 353 (2015)Google Scholar
- 2.Hingorani, N.G., Gyugyi, L.: Understanding FACTS: Concepts and Technology of Flexible AC Transmission Systems. Wiley-IEEE press (2000)Google Scholar
- 3.Ajitha, A., Mutharasan, A., Dhal, P.K.: Power quality improvement using unified power flow controller in matrix converters for WECS. Int. J. Appl. Eng. Res. 10(76), (2015)Google Scholar
- 4.SajediHir, M., Hoseinpoor, Y., MosadeghArdabili, P., Peerzade, T.: Analysis and simulation of a STATCOM for a midpoint voltage regulation of a transmission line. Aus. J. Basic Appl. Sci. (2011). ISSN: 1991-8178Google Scholar
- 7.Iqbal, A., Lamine, A., Ashraf, I.: MATLAB/SIMULINK model of space vector PWM for three-phase voltage source inverter. In: Proceedings of the 41st International Universities Power Engineering Conference (vol. 3, pp. 1096–1100). IEEE (2006) Google Scholar