S-Parameter Based Evaluation of Cable Losses for Precise Low Frequency Voltage and Current Calibration
LF (low frequency) voltage and current are important parameters in electrical metrology. Evaluation of cable losses has been undertaken to improve measurement accuracy for LF voltage and current calibration at CSIR-National Physical Laboratory India (NPLI). The measurement has been done by measuring its S-parameters using Vector Network Analyzer (VNA) in the frequency domain. Insertion Loss method and Return loss method have been used to validate the VNA based measurement results. This paper presents evaluation of cable losses for two designated coaxial cables. The applied corrections for both these cables have been evaluated in frequency range from 300 to 1 MHz at different LF voltage points. In order to improve LF voltgae and current calibration accuracy and precision in measurements, the coaxial cables must be characterized for their impedances and losses. This paper presents and discusses two different methods used to characterize the coaxial cables.
KeywordsCoaxial cable Insertion loss Return loss Cable loss Calibration Accuracy VNA
Financial assistance provided by CSIR under Network Project NWP-045 is gratefully acknowledged. Finally authors express their deep gratitude to Dr. D.K.Aswal, Director, National Physical Laboratory for his constant encouragement and motivation.
- 1.Blackham, D., Wong, K.: Latest advances In VNA accuracy enhancements. Microw. J. 48(7), 78–94 (2005)Google Scholar
- 2.Lu, K.C., Lin, Y.C., Horng, T.S., Wu, S.M., Wang, C.C., Chiu, C.T., Hung, C.P.: Vertical interconnect measurement techniques based on double-sided probing system and short-open-load-reciprocal calibration. In: 61st Electronic Components and Technology Conference (ECTC), pp. 2130–2133, IEEE (2011)Google Scholar
- 3.Padmanabhan S., Kirby P., Daniel J., Dunleavy L.: Accurate broadband on-wafer SOLT calibrations with complex load and thru models. In: 61st ARFTG Conference Digest, Spring 2003, IEEE, pp. 5–10 (2003)Google Scholar
- 5.Agilent Test and measurement application note 95-1: S-Parameter techniques. Literature number 5989-9273EN (1996)Google Scholar
- 6.Rustagi, V.K., Govil, A.K., Agrawal, V.K.: Multijunction thermal converters as the primary standards of AC & LF voltage and current at national physical laboratory. In Mathur, B.S., et al. (eds) Advances in Metrology and its Role in Quality Improvement and Global Trade. pp. 360–364 (1996)Google Scholar
- 7.National Accreditation board for testing and calibration laboratories: guidelines for estimation and expression of uncertainty in measurement, Doc. No: NABL 141, Issue No: 02, Issue Date: 02.04.2000Google Scholar
- 8.Agilent fundamentals of RF and microwave power measurements (Part 3): power measurement uncertainty per international guides AN 1449–3. Literature number 5988-9215ENGoogle Scholar